1rst try from old vine Zinfandel grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveTheWine

Reaction score
Started with #180 of old vine Zin.

Didn't plan this but found a supplier in Victoria Saturday that had an extra 5 boxes coming in that night to be picked up Sunday!

I have done wine from grapes once before but would like an amazing wine this time so any input would be awesome.

day 1
Crushed grapes into fermenter with estimated 50ppm potassium sulfite, a small amount of both: pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient. Removed all but 5-10% of stems. SG of 1.10 was read using a hydrometer. Bled off 8L of juice into a carboy after 3 hrs to make a blush wine for the wife. Total acid read quite low between 0.15 - 2% (does this seem right?) Unfortunately it's Sunday and I don't have acid blend (and I'm going out of town in the morning for 2 days) so I have to add the acid blend when I get back (stupid move?). I made a strong yeast starter for both the wines and added as late in the evening as I could, temp of must about 71 degrees. My wife is going to punch down the cap for me while I'm away

Day 3
Got back this evening and checked SG, down to about SG 1.060 and both wines fermenting well. Temp of must is 78 degrees. Still don't have acid blend so I will add in the morning (bad idea) I plan on adding on the low side of things and making up the difference after ferment to get a proper reading.

B.T.W I have a 20L new American oak barrel arriving any day.

Any thoughts/suggestions?:a1

SAM_0947.jpg

SAM_0948.jpg

Why leave any steams in at all?Only acid you want to add is tartaric acid and nothing else.

Your acid can't be right. Refer to the tutorial and reference section of the forum for taking acid measurements. I use a pH meter to take TA readings.

Why leave any steams in at all?Only acid you want to add is tartaric acid and nothing else.
Exactly never use acid blend with grapes. It contains Malic Acid and there is no reason in the world you want to add Malic when you want to do a mlf to get rid of the malic already present. I also agree you are not making Pinot Noir so there is no benefit to keeping stems in the Must.
Malvina

whoa fellas be easy on me. I've done lots of fruit wines and kits
but only from grapes a few times. Until this year I never tested for acids and never even heard of MLF until a week ago

Where is the 'tutorial and reference section of the forum'
tried doing a search but not much came up

I used an TA acid test kit from the local wine store, tested the must before fermentation. followed the directions: add 15 cc of must. added 3 drops of indicator and swirled. started with 10cc of sodium hydroxide in syringe. after only 1.5cc of this solution, sample went grey and would not turn back to original color after swirling. Tried this three times with the same results. kit is dated 10/11/30. did I do something wrong? seems pretty straight forward, maybe the test kit is bad?

The people I got the grapes from told me crush and then remove 75% of stems. I tried to get all of them out. I remember reading somewhere that leaving 10% is ok. apparently bad info.

At this point PH and TA can wait until your fermentation is finished. You date on the test kit I didn't understand but test kits are not that good anyway. Get a PH meter and learn to titrate to 8.2 to obtain TA You don't need stems. Remove them even during the fermentation when you punch down your cap. Acid blend besides having Tartaric also includes Malic and Citric. You do not want to add any acid but Tartaric when making grape wine juice or grapes.
Malvina

Thanks for the info. Went to Victoria today and picked up: a new acid test kit, a PH meter and some tartaric acid. after ferment i will retest and adjust as needed

Last edited:
Back