1979 Almaden Monterey Cabernet Sauvignon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcb54

Reaction score
I was recently given an unopened bottle of 1979 Almaden Monterey Cabernet Sauvignon by a friend. The wine is a screw top (I didn't realize wineries were using screw tops back then). He said it had been kept in the refrigerator (I don't know the reason for this).

My questions are: Does anyone know anything about this wine? Is this wine safe to try and/or consume? Is there anything that could be harmful in trying/drinking it and is there anything else I should be wary of or concerned about?

Thanks for your response...
20111027_173357_Wine_Photo.JPG

I would open it. If it smells like vinigar I would not drink. Otherwise take a sip and see what happens. What is the worst that can happen???
smiley2.gif

What a cool opportunity! I doubt the wine is unsafe to drink but it could be vinegar! Who knows as screw caps were certainly in their infancy. The cold storage would actually help in this case but....... thats still a long time.

Open it, see if it passes the smell test, if it passes the smell test then put some in your mouth but don't swallow, spit. See if if passes the mouth test. If it passes that then try a small sip and see what that taste like.

Let us know how it taste since screw caps are starting to really gain ahold of the market more and more each year. They have made big strides in screw cap liners since then so it will be interesting to know.

Latest posts

Back