"Zippy" taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jksooner

Junior
Reaction score
I just bottled my first wine. It's a winexpert world vineyard Chilean Malbec. Starting SG was 1.086, ending .990. I bottled without thinking to taste first (lesson learned) and when I tasted last night it has what I describe as a zippy, slightly carbonated flavor (hard to describe really). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

You didn't degas enough. You've got CO2 trapped in suspension. Either pour it back into a bucket and whip or a carboy and suck.

or, decant and let it sit 1/2 hour or so before drinking.

Will it be ok in the bottle? Also, would using a wine aerator when decanting help as well?

Thanks guys! Next time should I degas before bottling? The directions didn't mention it

You say the instructions didn't mention degassing. The following is from the instruction sheet for the World Vineyard series Step 3:

NOTE: Do NOT rack the wine before stabilising and
fining. This kit requires that you stir the sediment back
into suspension. Racking the wine off the sediment
prior to fining may permanently prevent clearing.
Please be sure to stir all of the sediment up from
the bottom.
The wine needs extremely vigorous stirring during this
stage. Without hard stirring, trapped gas in the wine
will prevent clearing. At each stirring, whip the wine
hard. Drill-mounted stirring devices (see your retailer)
can ensure efficient degassing.

No I did the degassing according to the instructions. I was saying it didn't mention an additional degassing prior to bottling, after clearing

Good to know that aerating and decanting will help - I have a similar situation with one of my wines. I bottled thinking that I had the gas out but it has a harsh carbonated effect. I have learned that the amount of degassing that is in the instructions is a minimum!
Heather

wine help

Not a expert here but 1 thing i do when degassing is to put the wine back in the juice bucket and use the drill mountes whip, seems to faster with the wide opening, as to the small opening in carnboys. also try letting it age in carboys that will help also.

If you have the carboys, space, and patience most wine will degas itself normally after 6 or so months of bulk aging. CO2 comes out of a liquid easier at warmer temperatures. A wine will take longer to degas at 40 F vs. 65 F.

Latest posts

Back