Zinf grapes from central valley

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce67

Junior
Reaction score
Morning;

This fall is my frist attempt with Zin's grapes from the CV. I've heard they can be a little more difficult than other types of fresh grapes..so what should I watch for?

Also need suggestions for yeast, malo/no malo, time on skins, or anything else that comes to mind.

Appreciate your thoughts;
Bruce in Ohio

Have had no problems with any of my Zin from Lodi, CA. They are usually less problematic than other varietals. They ferment fast and are usually done in 5-6 days tops. I use RP15, BM4X4, D254 yeast. Definitely MLF.

I can't speak for CV, but I did a Zin from Amador last year. As Mike said, definitely MLF. I used BM4X4. 5 days in primary on the skins.

I am doing two batches of zin from Lodi, one juice pail with a lug added and one batch from grapes only. Using the same yeasts as above. Any suggestions for a tannin addition to the juice pail/lug batch?

I get confused with fermentation tannins, finishing tannins, cellaring tannins, etc.

Last edited:
I use some Tannin FT Rouge. Seems to work well but it also takes the wines 2 years to be drinkable (IMHO) at a minimum. They will last a long time after that if you have good/decent storage conditions.

I really don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a tangentially related question. I have read in many places that experienced winemakers say you can't really tell any difference in wines due to the yeast that was selected, at least not after six months. I have been doing some taste testing on my 2014 wines and it is striking to me how much different a Cab Sauv with RC-212 is from the exact same must with ICV-D254. Same with kit wines I have made with different yeasts. Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back