Other Your Top 5 Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugger

Reaction score
OK, a number of posts have talked about the RJS Super Tuscan and many times Rocky mentions this is one of his top 5 kits, so Rocky, it's time to come clean - what are your top 5 kits?
While we're at it, why don't we kit makers all list our top 5 kits - this may help us choose our next one to make. No rules, but it should preferably be ones you have made or have some personal knowledge of. High end, low end kits, doesn't matter as long as they're your favourites. Some of us are also limited to what kits are available.
Mine would be:
1. RJS Cellar Classic Winery Series Super Tuscan
2. RJS Cellar Classic WS Amarone
3. RJS Orange Chocolate Port
4. RJS Cru Select BC Okanagan Meritage
5. WE Eclipse New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignan Blanc

Dugger, that is a great question. Here would be mine:

1. RJS Winery Series Super Tuscan
2. Cellar Craft Showcase Rosso Fortissimo (really a close second)
3. RJS Winery Series Old Vine Zinfandel
4. Wine Expert Selection International w/grape skins Nero D'Avola
5. RJS Winery Series Cabernet Sauvignon

I have my first LR kits but have not made them yet. I am expecting big things from the Kenridge (Cellar Craft) Limited Release Sangiovese/Cabernet Sauvignon and this wine could find its way onto the list. Also note that I have not listed any white wines. I have found that most of the higher end white wine kits, e.g. Cellar Craft Showcase and Premium and RJS Cru Select Platinum, are very good. It is the red wine that often disappoints so I am more pleased when I find a great one.

Dugger...this is a tough, tough question to answer. What is meant by Top 5? Your absolute favourites? Or perhaps the ones that you have made the most? Or maybe by categories?

Here's my answer, in no particular order.

1. Ken Ridge Showcase German Gewurztraminer. I think this is still our all time favourite white. Made by adding the Suss-Reserve (aka F-pack) to the primary. IE it was made dry.

2. Ken Ridge Classic Merlot. Not the best red kit that we have made, but definitely our 'house red'.

3. Niagara Mist Pink Grapefruit Blush. OK I can't drink this one any more because grapefruit and one of the pills that I take are a no-no. Replaced by Niagara Mist Sangria White Zinfandel. Both are very refreshing summer drinks over ice.

4. Ken Ridge Showcase BC Merlot. Don't look for this one in the stores. It was discontinued several years ago. It was WONDERFUL.

All Vineco kits so far. If you know that I ran a store for several years, you could guess that Vineco kits were sold in the store. The store also sold RJ Spagnols, so....

5. Cru Select Platinum Restricted Quantities 2006 Australian Shiraz Viognier. It's was added to their full-time line-up for a few years, but isn't listed on their web-site. Only the oak cubes were added (about 2oz). The 4 cups of oak shavings were omitted.

Steve

1) Cellar Craft Rosso Fortissimo
2) Cellar Craft Red mountain Cab
3) En Premiur Old Mundullo Shiraz
4) W.E. Estate Single vineyard Shiraz
5) W.E. Orange Chocolate Port

Just picked up my first Winery Series Super Tuscan, I hope it cracks the top 5 in 12- 18 months

1. RJS En Primeur Woodbridge Cabernet Sauvignon
2. RJS Winery Series Rossa Grande Exellente
3. RJS RQ Trek, Chile, Malbec Syrah Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot
4. RJS RQ Piazza, Italy, Chardonnay Garganega,
5. RJS En Primeur Australian Chardonnay

Unfortunately some of these are limited release kits and are not available. sob sob cry cry

On the bright side I have many more in bulk or on deck that will surely change my list by the time they are in the bottles. So many to try, so little time.

RJS Winery Series Chilean Carmenère
RJS En Primeur Australian Shiraz
RJS Winery Series Super Tuscan
RJS Winery Series Old Vine Zinfandel
RJS Cru Select BC Okanagan Meritage
RJS RQ California Hang Ten, Muscat Symphony, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay
RJS RQ Austrailia Down Under, Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot
RJS En Primeur German Riesling Gewürztraminer
WE Selections Itnl Argentine Malbec with Merlot Grape Skins
WE Eclipse Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon
RJS En Primeur Italian Pinot Grigio,
WE Eclipse New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
WE Selections LE Washington Riesling Chenin Blanc

cheers

Hmmmm...... in no really particular order...

I'm gonna base my answers on "I have liked it a lot and will make it again" - or "have made
it a lot".

1) RJS winery series Super Tuscan
2) Wine Experts Selections International Australian Chardonnay
3) Cellar Craft Red Mountain Cab.
4) RJS En Primeur Italian Amarone
5) Wine Experts Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon (now "Eclipse")

Trouble with this sort of list is that "limited release" kits you'll get to make once, and probably not ever again.. For example I have a Cellar Craft Red Mountain Trio in bulk that is shaping up to be really good and I have a Ken Ridge limited release California North Coast Grand Red on deck. Both these will probably make great wine, but by the time I'm actually drinking them there's almost no chance you'll be able to buy such a kit again.

The kits also change somewhat over time too - For example, the last times I made the Lodi Cab, it wasn't called "Eclipse" and didn't have grapes in the kit - was still a very nice wine.

Surprisingly, I have a white in the list - after discovering battonage for kits on this site last year and making one, both my wife and I liked it so much two more are in the works - so the
aussie chard kit makes my list :)

1) CC Showcase Amarone
2) CC WS Super Tuscan
3) Ken Ridge Showcase South African Chenin Blanc
4) EP Chilean Carmenere
5) Cru Select Argentinean Trio

Have not had a lot of expensive kits aged yet (the 3 reds are almost a year old). The whites are gone. Have an EP Australian Shiraz and another CC WS Super Tuscan on deck. Have Cru Select NZ Chardonnay bulk aging for 2 months and Ken Ridge Showcase Sauvignon Blanc aging 1 month (just waiting for bottling time for the 2 whites).

This is really a great subject and great responses. As this goes on, I plan to record the responses, see which wines appear on most lists and I will have my "shopping/wish list" for the future. Good idea, Dugger!

I am limited to Mosti Mondale, since that is what the local store carries. However he said a distributor is moving east and he will begin carrying a different brand, so I can expland.
however of these kits over the last 8 years, I have got my best feed back and enjoyed:

Mosti Mondiale "Vinifera Noble"
Castel Del Papa
Valpolicella
Carmenere

And fine vine wines.com has the CC WS Super Tuscan on sale :br

These are all so close. I'll give it a shot.

1. Cellar Craft Showcase Rosso Fortissimo.
2. Cellar Craft Showcase Barberra
3. RJS Winery Series Super Tuscan
4. Winexpert International Series with skins Petite Verdot
5. Cellar Craft LR Old vines Mencia

I really wanted to put RJ Spagnols Coffee Port on this list but didn't know what to bump off of it. My Red Mountain cab is 14 months old and a bit too young and harsh yet. At some point I expect it to make the top 5.
Great Post. Looking forward to more responses.

April fools sale gosh I dont need to spend anymore money

Seriously. But I did anyway. :ft En Primeur NZ Pinot Noir on its way...

I haven't been in this game long enough to have a top five. But of the kits I've done, these are my faves or the ones that really show a lot of promise (in no particular order)

CC Showcase Red Mountain Trio (LR)
CC Showcase Red Mountain Cabernet
Spagnol's Orange Chocolate Port Style
Eclipse Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc

Last edited:
This is really a great subject and great responses. As this goes on, I plan to record the responses, see which wines appear on most lists and I will have my "shopping/wish list" for the future. Good idea, Dugger!

Yes, this is what I was hoping for - to get people to share their favorite wines (well that would be nice but I guess the names will have to do!) so others can benefit from that. Hey, that's what this forum is all about.
I'm at a point now where I am only making about 3-4 kits a year and I'm trying to make them special ones so information like this is great. Hopefully we can all get something out of it.
Keep those lists coming folks!

This is a GREAT thread. I've been thinking all day about what I would put on my list. But here it goes:

1. CC Showcase Amarone
  2. WS Super Tuscan
  3. WS Cabernet Sauvingon
  4. WE LE Mataro Sharaz
  5. CC Red Mountain Cab

Place those in any order you want. I won't disagree. I am drinking a Super Tuscan as we speak. I didn't make it - my son in law did - but it is spectacular. Many have said the CC Rosso Fortissimo is close but, so far, I have to disagree. WS Super Tuscan is SOO good, I am ready to dedicate one carboy to constant production. Also, another carboy to the Showcase Red Mountain Cab. Gonna need more carboys!

Duggar, you may be on to something. You and I should team up and have everyone send us JUST 1 bottle of each of their top 5 wines. You and I will judge the best ones of the batch and report back. What do you think? Should we make that happen?

I'm all for tasting too !!!!

I have the Super Tuscan in the box just need to checkout!!!

I just got my mad money dividend check! So I ordered a WS Super Tuscan. Thank ya'll this is a great thread and sight. I have learned so much from you guys!

Latest posts

Back