Other Your Top 5 Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just about to bottle my WE Stag's Leap Merlot so I picked up an RJS WS Super Tuscan to start next. Thanks for the input it helped me make my decision on what to get. I'm thinking of trying either the Amarone or Rosso Grande Excellente after that.

Sorry, not my top 5, but last night I opened up my first bottle of Rosso Fortissimo at only 8 months old and I have to rank that right at the top.

For those who have done the cellar craft Rosso Fortiss and the RJS WS super tuscan, is there much difference between them? I can get the CC for 30$ less and alot closer to home than the RJS, looking for my next kit

FYI super tuscan ordered - thanks rocky and everyone else.... dammit

This will be my fourth kit in 6 months not addicting at all...

For those who have done the cellar craft Rosso Fortiss and the RJS WS super tuscan, is there much difference between them? I can get the CC for 30$ less and alot closer to home than the RJS, looking for my next kit

I said in my rating that CC Rosso Fortissimo was a close second to RJS Super Tuscan. I would have to say there is not a $30 difference between the two. You could not lose out with either one.

Ok I will have to throw my current favorites up:

CC Showcase CdP- very good early drinker (ie 18 months)
CC LE Carmenere/Cabernet blend
RJ WS Rosso Grande- 14 bottles left, and nearing the 30 month mark, can't wait for 36!
RJ WS Volopicella- right at 22 months, and this is very nice!!
CC Showcase Red Mountain Cab- 24 months this week, and 28 bottles left!

Honorable mentions:
CC Showcase Yakima Syrah
CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo
RJ RQ Hang Ten- CA Red
CC Showcase Amarone
WE AUS Petit Verdot- This is coming along nicely...only at 16 months
WE LE Primitivo

All were put through barrels, and most have tannin added. Have a lot more that are too young yet!! I will add, I am not a white wine drinker, but the CC Showcase Yakima Riesling is delicious (it also made me buy a CC Yakima Viognier kit!!).

It would seem a lot of folks like RJS winery series Super Tuscan, but a lot of people say it is sweet! What, a lot of you guys prefer a high end sweet wine? My bubble is busted :(

What a great thread! I keep seeing the Rosso fortissimo show up.. Can someone explain to me what that is? A blend?? I haven't fm done enough kits yet but these are my favs.

RjS EP super Tuscan
RjS EP California Cabernet
Cc LR north coast red
WE eclipse Australian Shiraz

We shoukd keep this thread alive!

My understanding of Rosso Fortissimo is that it is a blend of various ratios of Sangiovese, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon, much like a Super Tuscan.

What a great thread! I keep seeing the Rosso fortissimo show up.. Can someone explain to me what that is? A blend?? I haven't fm done enough kits yet but these are my favs.

RjS EP super Tuscan
RjS EP California Cabernet
Cc LR north coast red
WE eclipse Australian Shiraz

We shoukd keep this thread alive!

Hi Tommbomb, I noticed in your top 5 the EP Super Tuscan... Is it at the top because it is your favorite? I have one aging now but because it is relatively new I have not heard much feedback about it.

Mine is still aging but I stole a sip and I was extremely impressed with it. Smooth at an early age, with a nice tang to it.... Wish I could tell u more but it might be an early favorite

I can never do anything simple. Below are my five favorite wine kits that are generally available all of the time. The second list are my favorite Limited and/or no longer available kits.

Fab Five:

Yakima Syrah w/grape pack, CC Showcase
Brunello, RJS Cru Select
Nero D'Avola WE, with grape pack WE
Rosso Fortisimo - w/Grape Pack CC Showcase
Super Tuscan RJS Winery w/skins

No longer available:

Amarone MM Meglioli
Petite Verdot WE LE
Nebbiolo, CC, LR
TORO (Tempranillo Grenache) RJS RQ
Trapani Sicillian Syrah RJS EP

Tonyt. I started primary fermentation on Nero D'Avola WE with grape pack last night. I REALLY LOVE THE NERO D'AVOLA GRAPE. Did you bulk age?. If so, how long? Thanks.

Thank you Tonyt !
Thank you for listing a Brunello kit . Nobody listed any so far and I was beginning to think there is something wrong with me .
I am to new to list the top 5 kits , nothing is over 1 year old .

I am not trying to stir up the pot here, and I love Brunello di Montalcino wine. It is one of my 5 favorite Italian wines. I know that certain producers designate their kits as "Brunello" and I think they should more accurately be called "Sangiovese." Brunello is a wine that is, yes, made from Sangiovese grapes (the best ones from a particular vintage) but also following a specific process, testing and aging schedule (4 years in oak for Normale and 5 years for Riserva). Along the way the wine is tested and tasted to assure that it is developing properly. If it is, the wine is allowed to reach full maturity and is designated Brunello di Montalcino (which would be the Normale) or Brunello di Montalcino Reserva. If at any time during the process the wine makers determine that the wine is not progressing satisfactorily, it is "downgraded" to Rosso di Montalcino and released.

My point is, one does not know if grapes or juice will produce a Brunello until it is wine and has met the requirements for the designation, so how can the kit, which has not even started, be designated Brunello? I think it is more a marketing strategy.

I have the Kenridge Founder's kit and it says "Italy Brunello Style " .

Tonyt. I started primary fermentation on Nero D'Avola WE with grape pack last night. I REALLY LOVE THE NERO D'AVOLA GRAPE. Did you bulk age?. If so, how long? Thanks.

Yes I bulk age, usually sex months after clearing. That works well adding k-meta every three months for me. Youre in for a treat. Give it at least six more months in bottle. I wait a year.

Thank you Tonyt !
Thank you for listing a Brunello kit . Nobody listed any so far and I was beginning to think there is something wrong with me .
I am to new to list the top 5 kitsonly , nothing is over 1 year old .

Only three companies make a Brunello, Wine Expert, RJ Spagnols and Kenridge and only one each. So its not easy to find. Plus commercial Brunelllos are $$$$. Report back how it tastes later.

Latest posts

Back