Your process for cleaning a glass carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't have one of those drill mounted rag things I only have the long handled white bristle brush. If I have to go through that hassle every time I want a clean carboy I'm taking up the wrong hobby. There has to be an easier way

If the carboy is new to you, then scrub. If it is a recently emptied out one, then jsut clean and sanitize.
Once a carboy is cleaned I use it. Afterwards, I just put some Oxyclean in it, shake it around, rinse well, then fill with water and my sanitizer, let sit for an hours or even a day or two, pour it out, let it drip dry. I've had no problems using this process so far....

As long as there are no chunks stuck to the side I use one step cleaner and soak and shake it. Then I sanitize before use. Oxyclean also works well.
If you have chunkage then you need a brush if soaking doesn't do it.

All the above is good advice. I only use brush if something is stuck to the inside.

After use, I put in a couple cups of my cleaner solution (B-Brite), shake it around, rinse, add a cup or so of KMeta solution, shake, seal it up completely with the sanitizer still inside and store.

I rinse well as soon as it's emptied, add a few drops of dawn lime. Shake like hades. Rinse and sanitize for the next use.

I clean immediately afterwards with very hot water using this. I then sanitize it and use it right away or keep an inch of k-meta in it and a solid bung or air lock.

OK thanks I will make sure I clean it thorough after use next time lol. I think that was my problem, I let it sit a few days after use and had some gunk stuck to the side. I'll call it valuable lesson learned, im sure there will be many more where I have to learn the hard way

Edward, the same rule with wine bottles. As you empty them, rinse them out good. It'll prevent any mold from forming or any other kind of bacteria and make it a lot easier to clean again when your ready to bottle.

Yes as soon as you empty one rinse it out, never hot water but good and warm and I add a drop of hand detergent, Use the bottle brush for about 15 seconds is my routine. Dump, rinse well and let dry or use again.

Allowing chunks to stick would have to be a nightmare to clean. Don't worry wine making is easy and fun.

I do as Dan does, its just the easiest way. When your ready to use the carboy just empty the carboy out of meta solution and use!!!!!

As others have said, it is really important to rinse the carboy as soon as it is emptied - even waiting an hour before doing so makes it more difficult especially with a red wine. Same thing goes for hoses, wands, etc.

How about Elderberry wine... Does the green gunk stick to the inside of the BB? If so is that is going to be nightmarish to remove? While I am considering BB the cleaning aspect leaves me with questions.

Back in the day, when I used carboys, I would rinse 3 times with hot water (not too hot to cause thermal shock). I then used a drop of automatic DW gel, about 2 cups of water, and sloch it around a bit. I would also scrub with a rather large bottle brush. Drain, then rinse another 3 times.

How about Elderberry wine... Does the green gunk stick to the inside of the BB? If so is that is going to be nightmarish to remove? While I am considering BB the cleaning aspect leaves me with questions.

I would imagine if you get the Green Goo in either a glass carboy or a BB it would be a night mare to get out. Most of the goo should remain in your primary bucket if you are lucky. Steaming the berries eliminates the goo.

I clean immediately afterwards with very hot water using this. I then sanitize it and use it right away or keep an inch of k-meta in it and a solid bung or air lock.
Yep I always have mixed up solution to clean other things with this way as well. Also do the same with my primary buckets but keep more in them and hoses, spoons, bungs and air lock are all stored in there

I am new but i did figure out a way of cleaning the carboy. it works for me.
i use hot water some sanitizing solution and for the scrubing i just drop a couple rags in there and start shaking and spinning, turn upside down and pull rags out

Kelley if that works for you thats great, just a word of caution. Please be very careful as wet carboys are very slippery and people have been seriously hurt from dropping them.

Jeez Mike I couldn't remember who it was but I know I heard of several cases. Glad your foot is good now. This is the very reason I have handles on every carboy.

Latest posts

Back