Young wine Taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I tried my GrandCru Pettie Sirah for the 1st time last night. Unfortonately I was not very impressed. Now by what I read on this board it is still very young. Pitched the yeast 11/15/08 and it been in a bottle for just 1.5 months...

It wasn't horrible, my wife actually liked it. But it tasted like a high alcholol flavored fruit juice is how I could describe it.
Is that what a young kit wine would taste like????

Please tell me that this is because it is young and that it will get better with age.

Thanks

I havent tried this kit but will say 2 things. One being that it is still very young so time will surely make it better. 2 being that these smaller kits dont do it for me as they dont have the flavor to back up the alc although Im told that the MM Vinifera kits do a great job at this. I made a Grand Cru kit when I first started and didnt care for it and have moved to the Cellar Classic Winery series, Cru Selects, and En Primeurs from Spagnols as thats what I have around here available at decent prices. I prefer the grape skin kits myself.

I have made this kit and yes like Wade said time will make it better. Mine took about 2 years to really come around and it is a very nice wine. This will get much better with age, try making another few kits to take your mind off of this one.
VPC

Thanks. As far as the other kits, they are already done and sitting in the carboy right now. They are both Wine Expert kits, one red and one white. Is it true the White's will be good in less time, say 6 or so months???

Yes whites will be ready much faster and even the smaller kits produce a very good white wine.

Whites will be ready faster then reds but they also improve when given some aging.
VPC

What Wade meant to say was that the WHITES will be ready to drink much sooner. They aren't full of tannins that take longer to round out and improve.

Argggg, yes thats what I meant!!!!!!! Thanks Rich!!!!
smiley35.gif

I knew you did and glad you corrected me!I dont want to mislead anyone!

vcasey, I noticed my Australian Reisling I made did not really taste all that good early on. I opened a bottle last night for its 1 year anniversary and it is very nice!!
And the great thing is it will get even better thru the months ahead.
smiley36.gif

I made a Heron Bay Australian Riesling a couple of years ago. It was the small kit I got for $35. The darn thing was a pain it refused to start fermenting until the 3rd pack of yeast, then it refused to stop fermenting. I could not blame it on the weather it was summer and we keep the house between 70 & 75 year around. When I finally got to bottle this stubborn wine it was pretty good and has only improved. One of the best wines I've made to date and well worth the headache. I still have a couple of bottles left!
VPC

Latest posts

Back