yellowtail

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

js76

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all.
Is there a kit on the market that comes close to yellowtail Shiraz??

JS, there are quite a few. Here are just a couple of alternatives. I am sure you can find many more.

Australian Shiraz - Darlington Point, Riverina
The wine shows a deep crimson colour with purple undertones. The up-front aromatics reflect the typical dark fruit notes of blackberry, cherry, and plum, complimented by restrained black pepper which should become more pronounced with age. In the background are subtle layers of toast and vanilla from the oak.

Shiraz - Australian
The wine is deep and dark in colour with a rich bouquet of fruit and a hint of cassis. It ages gracefully into a velvety wine of pure elegance.
Shiraz Grenache - Australia
The perfect blend of rich fruit-forward notes of Shiraz with its soft and supple mouth-feel, and the cherry and currant fruit notes and a dash of peppery spice from the Grenache. Expect a fruit driven wine with juicy, ripe black and red fruits, light vanilla oak and classic spicy accents on a full bodied frame with a long silky finish.
Australian Shiraz
This full-bodied wine sourced from Old Mundullo vineyards comes with Shiraz Genuwine Winery Dried Grape Skins and untoasted American oak shavings. Warm black fruit and berries entice the nose, while concentrated flavours of red fruit, oak and chocolate round out the experience.
Shiraz (Australian Style) with AllGrape Pack
The Shiraz grape is dark-skinned and grown throughout the world. Its status as a powerful red wine continues to elevate as does its popularity among all red wine drinkers. You immediately fall in love with its deep vibrant red color that is elegantly paired with a tint of purple.
Shiraz
A wine for today. Be on the lookout for its new taste sensations. With purple-ruby flashes and violet rim, the complexity of its bouquet brings together notes of eucalyptus and black currants.
Shiraz/Merlot - Australian
Subtle aroma of leather and black peppers match well with the rich black berry flavours.
Cabernet/Shiraz - Australian
Bold wine!The intense fruit flavours of cherry, raspberry and blackcurrant with a hint of liquorice.

As a further note to Rocky's excellent suggestions, Yellowtail is a bit off-dry. Perhaps you should make one of the kits above, but then experiment with mild backsweetening. (Be sure to use the sorbate.)

Rocky - would the CCWS Grenache Shiraz be the same or close to the Ken Ridge 2014

As a further note to Rocky's excellent suggestions, Yellowtail is a bit off-dry. Perhaps you should make one of the kits above, but then experiment with mild backsweetening. (Be sure to use the sorbate.)

Exactly. I took a fairly inexpensive CC Sterling California Syrah and used that approach to get something similar to the Yellow Tail. In addition to the backsweetening, it got a lot of oak, and I used a few tellicherry peppercorns in bulk aging. Primary was bulked up with dried cherries and blueberries too.

I have a question. first of all, Yellow Tail is considered a "value wine" not really expensive, around $7.50 to $8.50 a bottle in Florida. I consider all Yellow Tail as a good wine, not a fantastic wine such as those costing 2 or 3 times that or more. I often buy that myself. I am pretty much a value wine drinker.

I think the above suggested kits run from $90 to $150 a kit. No question as to whether they are good kits that produce a great wine.

Having said that, wouldn't some cheaper kits (say WE or world vineyard at around at 75 to 95 bucks) make a wine as good as Yellow Tail. I was under the impression (very well may be wrong) that those level of kits would make a wine equal to a bottle costing from near $ 7 to $12 a bottle.

YOur opinion is very much appreciated.

Last edited:
I have a question. first of all, Yellow Tail is considered a "value wine" not really expensive, around $7.50 to $8.50 a bottle in Florida. I consider all Yellow Tail as a good wine, not a fantastic wine such as those costing 2 or 3 times that or more. I often buy that myself. I am pretty much a value wine drinker.

I think the above suggested kits run from $90 to $150 a kit. No question as to whether they are good kits that produce a great wine.

Having said that, wouldn't some cheaper kits (say WE or world vineyard at around at 75 to 95 bucks) make a wine as good as Yellow Tail. I was under the impression (very well may be wrong) that those level of kits would make a wine equal to a bottle costing from near $ 7 to $12 a bottle.

YOur opinion is very much appreciated.

The reds in the Sterling line from cellarcraft runs around $90-100 at FineVineWines. They are 12L kits with grape packs.

RJS is CCWS (Winery Series) and Vineco in Ken Ridge - sometimes I get mixed up - maybe I put down the wrong ABBV for CCWS.

Latest posts

Back