Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayseedjim

Reaction score
I am going to be making a 30 gallon batch of blackberry wine in the next two weeks and am wondering if one packet of yeast is enough to properly ferment this amount, or should I use more? I have always done six gallon batches in the past, so this is a new venture for me.
Thanks for any input you might have.
Jim
smiley1.gif

I would use more...

I am not sure the amount, but I am sure someone else here will chime in on the amount.

Are you going to do any Port?

I can't say for sure for blackberry, but with my grape wines I often start 30 gallon batches with a single packet of yeast. To make the packs stretch farther (I rally am too cheap), I often use one batch to begin a second, third, fourth, etc. I began some NY 76 with Cotes des Blancs a week ago. It got rolling along about the time I had some LaCrosse to begin- so I dipped out a cup of must from the NY76, poured it in the LaCrosse and within hours that was rolling away. Next Day,the St. Pepin was ready, so from the LaCrosse to the St. Pepin. Today the Chardonel needed starting, so from the LaCrosse again into the Chardonel. These and a few others were all begun from the one original package of yeast. They are best at what they do, reproduce and convert sugar to alcohol. As long as you provide a few yeast cells with some food, they will reproduce and fill the entire batch within hours.

Grape wines are a little different then other fruits in my experience in the matter that grapes are very well balanced with the nutrients and all other aspects making it ferment much easier. With any other fruit Id feel inclined to recommend 2 packets and make a starter for this.

I would think one packet would do it as long as you use the extra nutrients for 30 gallons.

Jim, just make a starter the day before you are going to innoculate your must, get it up to a quart and lively and you should be ok. How many pounds of fruit are you using for your 30 gallon batch? Crackedcork

TJim said:
I am going to be making a 30 gallon batch of blackberry wine in the next two weeks and am wondering if one packet of yeast is enough to properly ferment this amount, or should I use more? I have always done six gallon batches in the past, so this is a new venture for me.

Thanks for any input you might have.

Jim
smiley1.gif

No Port this time. I have some beet wine aging at this time that I understand is a close resemblance to Port. Am curious to see what it tastes like, as I love beets.

The Mfg say 1 oacket good for 6 gal so = 5 packets unless you make a big starter

Latest posts

Back