Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it is realy gettin with it! Maybe that monster on the Scooby Doo paper towel is scairing it into a hurry!

smiley36.gif

I was reading all the newsletters the other day and one is about yeast,
I coppied this cause I get RedStar yeast at the local healthfood store
(local being 50 miles away).

Red Star</span></font>

<ul ="disc">
<li ="Msonormal" style="color: rgb(204, 0, 0);">Pasteur Red - Good for full-bodied red wines like Cabernet. Brings
out fruit flavors and aromas. 16% alcohol level. </span></font>
<li ="Msonormal" style="color: rgb(204, 0, 0);">Montrachet - Multi-purpose yeast good for fruit wines which helps to
bring out the body and color. Downside is its low alcohol tolerance of
13%. </span></font>
<li ="Msonormal" style="color: rgb(204, 0, 0);">Cote des Blancs - Low alcohol yeast (12-14%) used in wines when a
level of residual sugar is desired in the finished wine. Excellent for
sparkling wines. </span></font>
<li ="Msonormal" style="color: rgb(204, 0, 0);">Pasteur Champagne - Another multi-purpose yeast with a moderate
tolerance to alcohol (13-15%). Very good for restarting stuck
fermentations. </span></font>
<li ="Msonormal" style="color: rgb(204, 0, 0);">Premier Cuvee - High alcohol tolerance (18%) that should not be used
when ML fermentation is desired. Also used to restart stuck fermentations.
</span></font>

[/list]

there
was a list for other brands as well, lots of good info in the back
newsletters. I'm going to get me some Premier Cuvee and make me some
high test Welches wine.
smiley20.gif

</span></font>

Stinkie, if you use enough concentrate, reconstituted with 2 cans water instead of 3 and use american oak, you can have a pretty good port, sweetened up a tad and ready for aging.

smiley20.gif

Do you use it straight, or add water? I was just giving you a hint on how to increase body and make a strongdessert wine that will age well. Edited by: Country Wine

the batch I just bottled was half juice half water PA 13.5, there is a
batch in the carboy that has been stablized and fined that is strait
juice with a PA of 12, I'm going to start another 50/50 batch.

When I bought yeast the other day I noticed one type had a good till date on the pack, the other two types had codes on them, I emailed Red Star and asked how to read the codes, the reply I recieved yesterday (I'll post it tonight) sounds to me (I was thinking about it on the way to work today) like my yeast might be old. I think he said they use dates now and to send him the codes and he will tell me if it's still good, that their yeast has a shelf life of 3 years, I'm going to send him the codes tonight. If you look on the read only blueberry board, you will see when I proofed the yeast it didn't thrill me. I am getting some action but very slow started at 1.097 SG on the 4th, last night 1.060 SG 14 days later. Red Star Montrachet yeast.

I emailed the codes to Red Star last night, my must is gassing very slow, I'll take a SG tonight or tomorrow, then I'm thinkig of proofing one of the other yeasts I have to see if it's livelier in the cup than the Montrachet was when I proofed it, I should have the answer from Red Star tonight also.

The slow ferment will be just fine, Stinkie, you worry too much. The wine will be better for the slow ferment. If you did not use yeast nutrient, add a little now. If you have yeast energizer, and didn't use any, add that too. It will be fine.

Country, what is the difference between nutrient and energizier? is one better to use than the other? Do they need to be used together or separately? I use the nutrient, never used the energizer.

berry

Nutrient feeds them so they replicate.

Energizer kicks their metabolism in gear. (Hyperthyroidism in yeast?)

I use both together.

Sorry Berry, sometimes I miss a post now and then, especially if I have been away from home. I like Martina's answer and probably couldn't have explained it that well. I also use both together, kinda like insurance. Too much will give bad flavors, I have read.

no need for sorrys CW, i've been a bit busy myself here lately; i understandthat.... just follow directions on the package, eh?
smiley36.gif

berry

Latest posts

Back