Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One generally falls favorite to a particular type of yeast especaially when they are successful in completing a wine of acceptable flavor, etc. Then later, another leap for mankind...experimenting beyond....where no man has gone...learning trying...yes (happy)...learning...trying... oops! (oh well)...learning...trying...yes. etc. Then one day...."Oh ya Baby!!!"
smiley36.gif

I agree, Joe, but I still use a variety depending on what I am fermenting, it's just that I do alot of fruit with high malic acid like blackberries and muscadines, and also the D47 suits my style and habits with white and lighter colored wines such as peach and scuppernong.

I have been doing much reading lately on the yeast. I agree with you about D-47, and others,and have recently ordered some from George to try. That was my intent on the previous message regarding experimenting with a variety..then, "Oh Ya Baby!" Guessmy message was not ...

No, really I got it, I just thought you didn't get mine.

I have been liking the D47 also with darker wines that are a little high ph and maybe a little thin and not oaked. Sorta nouveau style.

Interesting...reading in one thing-first hand info is retainable. I am trying 1122 in the fruit wines now going for the more "fruity character" compared to 1118 which seemed quite neutral for me.

So I have started by doubling a 1-gallon experiement, prior to pitching the yeast, I spit them into two (2) primaries, then introduce each with a different yeast and monitor both side by side.

That's why I had to order more yeast from George to continue this theory of comparison. I find it rather hard to confirm my notes by written description of each at a later date.

I started a comparison today. I was in great hopes that my recent order would arrive but it did not. So, in this comparision(experiement) I made a two (2) gallon primary mix of Surinam cherries, starfruit, and used Niagara as a base, etc. Used 1118, and 1116 which I have on hand(was anxious to start) 24 hours later after splitting them to 1-gallon primaries. We'll see from here. (For those that are concerned whether or not I sprinkled the yeast-yes I did) close notes will be in order as well as other experiments. I have approx. 20 one (1) gallon empties to fiddle with. To avoid "mass" confusion and alot of work, I will try to "space them approximately two (2) weeks apart if my plan is not interrupted....

My guess is that you will not detect alot of sensory differences in the 2 wines. Those 2 yeast strains are very similar.

This will get very interesting I think with all those jugs!

smiley32.gif

I agree, I thought that I had others in the frige after I commenced. That's why I was abit upset that the mailman didn't come...most often he doeswith alot of bills. I waited for him today like a kid waiting forthe "old ice cream wagon." Had to do something. It will be a close challenge to denote any differences...might be interesting to test my senses anyway!

Yes, could be a good exercise in winemaking and sensory perception also. I am very interested.

I've noticed several posts referring to Montrachet yeast. I'd be very careful with Montrachet...it has been impicated in excess sulphur production during fermentations and, in fact, its use has been discontinued by quite a number of winemakers...professional as well as amateur.

What are the implications of excess sulphur production during fermentation?

Since I haven't died yet, and it isn't banned from the FDA, I am assuming that it can't be that lethal. Please explain!

I too have not heard of this, John. Please post links to the problems if you have any. Thanks.

smiley25.gif

I think he is talking about Sulferdioxide. It smells like rotten eggs and some people might throw out a good wine just because it smells bad.

To get rid of the smell you can use coppersulfate but be carefull be cause too much can be POISONOUS. The safest way to and the way I prefer is toget a copper spoon and stir the wine. With the spoon you don't need to be worried about copper poisoning. Also alot of agitation can help the smell but you introduce alot of oxygen to the wine and run the risk of making the wine oxidize.

Chris

I see. I guess it's the Montrachet instead of the cabbage in my cabbage wine, huh?!?
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif

I had to make a new starter just now for the 04 Scuppernong must:

half cup must, half cup hot water, quarter tsp. nutrient, eighth tsp. energizer, swirled in quart jar until temp down to 86*F, sprinkled 5 grams Lalvin ICV-D47 yeast on top, will add eighth cup of must ever 12 hours or so

I am thinking SO2 so high in must the D47 couldn't work on it's own. Originally pitched directly into bucket yesterday morning, no evidence of fermentation this morning

smiley35.gif

Well now I could kick myself for wasting a pack of yeast! At 1 pm when I decided it wasn't going to start on it's own, I stirred the bageebees out of the must before getting some for the starter. It is now 2:30 pm and the airlock on top of the bucket is bubbling like crazy!

LESSON LEARNED: GIVE IT TIME!!!

smiley4.gif

Edited by: Country Wine

Aloha CW,

This happened to me once last week when the outside temp. was at 69 degrees. Before making a new starter, I tried what I heard that would probably workif the original yeast was not in "total shock," I used a hand-wisp creating more oxygen then warmed up the must by inserting a container with hot water placed in the gallon primary. The temp came up to 74 and about 30 minutes later, I got some action going.
smiley6.gif
So much work to make things happen!

Hi Joe! Edited the post above yours, above!

I reckon I will just continue to grow this starter and pitch it in a couple of days. It will still yet serve to make it all alot stronger, I knew the grapes had too much SO2 to begin with, and also knew the D47 is very tolerate of high SO2, just got impatient.

smiley32.gif

2005-04-06_132404_D47_starter.JPG
Edited by: Country Wine

Latest posts

Back