Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hippie

Reaction score
I like D47 and 71B-1122 best, for fruitiness. For problem musts, you will not beat good ol EC-1118.

I'm for Montrachet. It usually tastes very fruity.

I will never use Cotes de Blanc again. I had of 3 packets of it, 2 of which turned out to be stuck fermentations. ANd they were still "fresh" (hadn't expired).

I'm limited to Red-Star yeasts around here (I buy locally because I can get them quite reasonably, for once). Does anyone else have good suggestions? My basement is roughly 60* (winter) and 68* in the summer.

Thanks!

The only one that will ferment reliably at 60*F is champagne yeast, Lalvin EC-1118, not sure what the red star equivalent is.

Well, I do have a brew belt around 2 5-gallon carboys most of the time. The temps mentioned above are all the ambient temps.

OIC, ambience.I must have a good ambience surrounding me almost constantly.

AMBIENT! Not ambience, dear!!!

You know, surrounding temp? Air temp?
smiley36.gif

OK, sorry. Yes, yeast need a fairly steady ambient temperature during the fermentation process. They do not like ups and downs.

no need to be sorry, dear....

smiley1.gif

But you are correct with the ambience surrounding you. Even though I was talking about the temps in my basement.
smiley36.gif

Does the Lalvin EC-1118 have a fruity taste and is it good for "weirdo Martina wines?"

EC-1118 is very good yeast for musts with high SG or for over sulphited musts, and very good for something new that you are not sure about, it will ferment at low temps and high temps. It will not help with fruit, however. Very neutral. I have fed it to 21% abv, but most of the time 18% is the limit.

Sure. My current favorite is Lalvin 71B-1122. It seems to leave alot of fruit taste. D47 ain't bad at all either, I use it for extended lees contact and lees stirring. (battonage) Definitely gives a different feel to the palate.

Alright, since I'm a yeast dummie, what should I use?

Should I switch to Lalvin? Is that better?

Not neccessarily better, but there are alot of strains besides Montrachet.

smiley4.gif

I know. But since my Cotes de Blanc disaster, I'm leery. You mentioned you've used other types of yeast for your wines. Do you think they'd be okay to use in my rather cold basement (but I do have a brew-belt and a heating pad)?

Tell ya what, get some Lalvin K1V-1116. It is alot like EC-1118, but usually leaves a fruitier profile than neutral.

Wow, this power of suggestion works!I have to say Lalvin 71B-1122 and D47 are tied for my favorites so far.

No, actually those 2 are more particular about temperaturethan the K1V or the EC-1118. They both just seem to keep alot more of the fruit in the wine, especially the 71B, and it also metabolizes some (I think up to a 3rd) of the malic acid. Supposedly changes it to some good sensory compound, whatever they are called. Phenolics?

Ugh, there's that chemistry again.
smiley5.gif

I will have to try each of them out for myself, I guess.
smiley2.gif

Back