Yeast Starter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isaiah

Reaction score
should i just add it in the juice or make a yeast starter does this matter? I know the first couple batches I made i just sprinkled it on top but didnt seem to start for a while. What is the best way to do this?

It's more of a personal preference. I always use a yeast starter, but mine's more a carry over habit from baking.

I always make a yeast starter. It prevents the "why is fermentation taking so long to start?" question and allows your yeast to hit the ground running since it is already acclimated to the host environment.

When you add yeast to your must it first has to start multiplying to form a big colony.
The bit of yeast that you are adding is not enough to get fermentation vigorously starting.
So there will be a delay time between the time you add the yeast and the time fermentation really starts off.

That delay time will make it possible for bacteria and other nasties to take over.

Another point is that when you add yeast you are not sure if it is viable. A lot of yeast cells might have died off during transport, storage etc.
So that will make the lag time even longer and you are not sure if it will start alltogether.

These are ab few reasons why I always use a yeast starter.

You can find my method of preparing a yeast starter here:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2007/08/gist-starter-yeast-starter.html

Oops made a typo and corrected it now.

Luc

Last edited:
well I was up at 4:00 am this morning took about 1/4 cup of water at added about a tablespoon of sugar then added yeast to that.I let that sit for about 15 min. Just looked at it and she is started now. Not going crazy but I can see them in there!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back