Yeast - Starter or Sprinkle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineNewbie

Reaction score
I've seen this discussion before on the forum relating to kits, but my question is with scratch wines.

Is it best practice to always make a yeast starter when making scratch wines, or can you just sprinkle on top of must like the kits tell you to do? The reason I'm asking is, making a yeast starter is more time consuming and requires me being there for 12 hours adding must to the starter every 2 or 3 hours. With work and two young kids, time is precious!

So far, I've only done kits, but I recently bought a 2 gallon fermenter to start experimenting with some one-gallon scracth wines. Is it ok to sprinkle? Or will I have trouble getting fermentation going without a starter?

John

I personally rehydrate my yeast...I know that others just sprinkle it on top of the must.

When I rehydrate I use a thermometer and wait for the water to be the temp listed on the package...100*-109*..I try for 100*-104* [just to be sure that I don't kill it with too hot temperature]Then I put in a few grains of sugar [use to do that making bread, it gives the yeast something to grow on] Now I started putting a few grains of yeast nutrient in as well....then I sprinkle the yeast on top of the water, put a piece of plastic wrap over the measuring cup and set a timer for 10 minutes....In that time period the yeast drops to the bottom, hits the sugar and energizer and started to grow almost instantly....when the time is up I pour it on top of the must...do not stir it...

My must will begin to ferment within hours....I never have to wonder ...WAS THE YEAST ANY GOOD????? I know it was.Edited by: Northern Winos

I always sprinkle it in and have had every batch start so far. I did have one batch that had me worried but after 3 days with the help of a heating pad it got going quite nice.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Either way works - most of the time. If time is too precious just sprinkle it on top. With the scratch wine wait 24 hours after the sulfite addition before adding the yeast- sprinkle it on top-don't stir and it should be bubbling happily away within a day or two. The only time it is really necessary to make a starter is with melon wines. The melon spoils very quicklly so you need the fermentation to begin almost immediately.

Of course if you have enough time to do it, the starter gives you insurance you start with a vigorous fermentation like NW says.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going tostart a Strawberry wine tonight. I think I'll sprinkle on top and see what happens.

Apple, you mentioned to wait 24 hours after sulfite addition. I don't see where sulphite is added in this recipe until the 1st racking. Should I be sulphiting the original must before primary fermentation?

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request162.asp

I use the starter simply because its more fun. There are other benefits but i dont believe they will make your wine any better. I just enjoy seeing bubbles in airlocks I guess
smiley36.gif

As for myself, I always sulfite the must and wait 24 hours then add pectic enzyme and wait another 24 hours before pitching.

Edited by: scotty

WineNewbie said:
Thanks for the replies. I'm going tostart a Strawberry wine tonight. I think I'll sprinkle on top and see what happens.

Apple, you mentioned to wait 24 hours after sulfite addition. I don't see where sulphite is added in this recipe until the 1st racking. Should I be sulphiting the original must before primary fermentation?

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request162.asp

In my opinion any fresh fruit should be sufited to kill or at least inhibit any bacteria and yeast from growth before starting the batch. You need to wait the 24 hours to let the free S02 escape before pitching the yeast otherwise it's action will be inhibited also. If they are processed strawberries you probably don't need to sulfite.

I was a die-hard starter maker until I learned sprinkling worked just as well so I say "work smarter not harder"

Some people say Hydrating is too much fuss
Just sprinkle your yeast all across your must
Others say a starter is the only way to go
otherwise your fermentation will be way too slow
Some say Do It....Others say Dont
Some say it works better, others say it wont.
Well im no expert but I do have some advice
Try it both ways... then your own experience will suffice.
smiley2.gif

Either way you go, its going to be fine
And you'll end up with some mighty fine wine.

I don't know why, but I decided to make the starter afterall (using the method NorthernWino mentioned above). I guess I just worried about it not getting going. It was a last minute decision. It's already bubbling away this morning, so it appears all went well.

Next time I'll sprinkle
smiley2.gif

This is a deep theological question... sprinkling or complete immersion. I tend to follow instructions if it's a kit wine and all the ones I have seen say sprinkle on top. If it doesn't work I can always call George!
smiley36.gif

If I'm making a scratch wine, when problems occur I need to know what s causing the problem. Hydrating the yeast to start with takes one potential problem out of consideration.

peterCooper said:
This is a deep theological question... sprinkling or complete immersion. I tend to follow instructions if it's a kit wine and all the ones I have seen say sprinkle on top. If it doesn't work I can always call George!
smiley36.gif

If I'm making a scratch wine, when problems occur I need to know what s causing the problem. Hydrating the yeast to start with takes one potential problem out of consideration.

As long as it is not a political question.
smiley3.gif

For kits I sprinkle, for fruit or homemade (Welch's) I do both. Cost an extra 79 cents and it works.

I've been following the directions on the lalvin packets, which do call
for re-hydrating. I kinda like that sugar-in-the-bottom
-of-the-cup-first trick. Think I'll employ that tactic next time
around. I can see where the must would take off immediately. Geez, I
really like this forum.

Oh I really messed up. I added my yeast the same way that Iused to back whenI was making beer. That wasput it in a cup and added about 3/4 of the cup of warm water. This was done right after cleaning everything in C-brite and before starting the mixing of the must. when everything was finished I poured in the cup of yeast that by that time had really foamed up and thickened. I made my batch at about 4 PM by bed time is was bubbling! The hydrometer reading at the begining was 1.082 and in 10 days it was at 1.010.

Next time I will trythe sprinkle method.Edited by: ScubaDon

Nothing wrong with that. Thats like doing a starter yeast and many
people do it. Its just another step thats all. Sounds like it went
really well to me!

Well, your discussion of yeast, whether sprinkled or hydrated. I've always
sprinkled and everything has gone all right, however, if you read the
instruction on the lalvin yeast web site(and on theback of the little
package)they recommend hydrating the
yeast. That's what I'm doing now, along with adding a little bit of
yeast nutrient.For me, hydrating the yeast is just a little insurance to make sure
the yeast is good and working. Yeast can slowly die if it gets too hot over a period of time.So the little package
has to behandled properly. So hydrating is just a testing mechanism to
make sure you've got good yeast. Forgive me for going on, but I've
read that if beer yeast is not hydrdated the beer will taste watery. Does
this apply to wine? I'd like to know. Thanks.Edited by: Mack

Mack, I dont make beer what would be very interested in a side by side taste test of hydratinig and sprinkle.

Back