Yeast sitting on top of oak chips

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jody

Reaction score
I just started a 4 week kit. I skip to when the kit had me add the oak chips and stir well before sprinkling the yeast over the surface. What concerns me is a fair bit of the yeast is just sitting atop the chips. I would have thought the yeast should have direct contact with the liquid. Will the chips affect the fermentation process?

Give it a stir..........and hope for the best......what other choice do you have at this point? You should be fine.

Having made literally 100s (maybe even more) of 4 week kits (I used to run a Ferment on Premises), I would say not to worry. You could follow Pete's advice and give it a gentle stir, but it probably won't make a difference.

BTW, not important for this question (unless maybe it's a Grand Cru red with an oak tea bag) but in future please provide the brand name and variety of the kit. It can often help to provide better answers.

FYI, if it is a Grand Cru with an oak tea bag, definitely turn the tea bag over. Also leave your stirrer in the primary if possible, because you should be turning the tea bag over daily.

Steve

Thanks for the replies. I will post the brand and variety of the kit in the future. Right now it is a Argentina Ridge Chateaux Shiraz. The oak chips settled to the bottom and allowed the yeast to do its work.

Latest posts

Back