Yeast question to ponder

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I frequently make multiple kit or juice bucket batches and I have a question for the mavens on how much yeast should be added to, say, a triple batch. I put on a 3 kit batch of RJS Cru Select Pinot Grigio this morning and I added 2 pouches of yeast. I figured it has to be at least 1 and no more than 3 so 2 seemed a good compromise. I have a suspicion that 1 would have been enough. What do you all think? What do you do in this situation?

i would have to say that if you had made a starter, THEN 1 probably would have been enough....it has to do mostly with how quickly the yeast multiply and get the fermentation going....the more viable yeast you have at the beginning, the less multiplying has to be done, and the sooner your fermentation will take off...

Agreed. One pouch would work but it would take longer to ferment. Two is fine. One pack will do 6-10 gallons. Doing a starter is always a good idea for larger batches.

My package of EC-1118, the same yeast that is included with every RJ Spagnols kit that I have ever seen, says up to 6 US gallons right on the front of it. So, I think, that you should have pitched all three packets.

It's about a dollar for a package of yeast versus how much for three Cru Select kits ($300?).

Steve

Steve. It was not a question of cost, rather would it be too "yeasty" with three packets. So you are saying yiou would add the third packet?

Haha, sorry for the confusion. I just noticed you are both "Steve" and I was answering cpfan Steve. Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back