WineXpert Yeast quantities in kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sangwitch

Reaction score
Newbie question... I've searched for this in the forum, but couldn't find the answer.

How come the yeast packets on my 6-gallon wine kits say they're for making up to 5-gallons of wine? Is there a limit to how much reproduction they can do?

Thanks

My quick answer. Geo and Masta probably can answer better:

Yes and no. A packet, if sprinkled directly on the must would yield 5 gallons. Probably six, but better safe than sorry, I'd say. I'll let you in on a little secret: I use one packet on 6 gallons too, and seem to do fine. But you really need to have the must at the perfect temperature and watch it c closely.

However, if you make a proper yeast starter (see how-to's), you can multiply those yeast and use them for 6 gallons. Now, the upper limits are not endless, especially since yeast has the tendency to mutate and change their qualities, butletting the yeast reproduce to use in up to 7-8 gallons, you're probably okay.

I don't have the facts to back up a correct answer but I believe the yeast manufacturers have a ideal pitching rate of 5 grams of yeast to 5 gals of must. Red Star quotes a pitching rate of 5 grams per 20 liters of must in their spec sheets.
Since you are not concerned about starting fermentation really quickly as with making beer (Dry beer yeasts are normally 7 grams up to 11.5 grams for 5 gals for a higher pitching rate), the wine kit manufacturers have found that 5 grams is enough for a 6 gal kit since the yeast cell count will continue to grow to the proper level needed for a complete fermentation.

So no need to try and force the wine yeast makers to change the size of their packaging from 5 grams.

Millions of kits are made very year successfully with 5 grams of yeast sprinkled directly on top of the must...trust them cause it works!!!

Thanks y’all… my first thought was to write my congressman or maybe organize a good ol mass protest march or sit-in at the yeast manufacturer’s, but then I thought to myself… “Well, that might be a little extreme for a bit of curiosity” so I decided to post a question instead!
smiley36.gif

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I guess my real question was more along the lines of, “what are the formulas for knowing how much yeast to use?” but no bother… I’m sure that answer would be something like, “that depends on your variables, etc” and besides… I’m satisfied with the answers for now.

I’ve ordered ‘From Vines to Wines’ by Jeff Cox, ‘The Home Wine Making Companion’ by Gene Spaziani and ‘The Complete Mead Maker’ by Ken Schramm. I’m also picking my way through Jack Keller’s site so I’ve got a lot of material to digest. I hope those are good book choices. They seem to have good reviews. I think it was one of masta's posts that put me onto the mead book.

Great choices with the books from Jeff Cox and Ken Schramm and the money is well spent on this material since they certainly are a valuable resource you will refer to time and time again.

Latest posts

Back