Yeast delemna

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBend

Reaction score
Started my 5 gallons of Blackberry yesterday. Today I go to the local liquor store that sells wine making supplies on the side and wouldn't you know. No yeast that I would normally use (LV-1116). Now what can I use? Small town and no other source. Can I use Montrachet or Pasteur Red????. They do not have a very big selection.

1st WELCOME!
2nd I would use Montrachet. Can they get Red Star Cote des Blancs? If so I use that.

Welcome aboard!!

The dominant acid in blackberry is malic acid - if you don't like the taste that gives off - i would use the Lalvin 71B 1122 - that will metabolize the malic acid.

My second choice was Red Star Cote des Blancs, but they do not carry that, so I did buy my 3rd choice Montrachat (haven't started it yet).

I would Order over the internet and have them do a "next day" delivery. I do not like either of those yeasts. I find that they are prone to breakdown.

If you do use these yeasts, I would make sure that I use a good yeast neutriant.

First off welcome to the forum. You certainly came to the right place looking for answers. I agree with ordering a supply of stuff you'll need on the internet for future wines. Our sponsors Fine Vine Wines and Midwest are both excellent places to look.

I would Order over the internet and have them do a "next day" delivery. I do not like either of those yeasts. I find that they are prone to breakdown.

If you do use these yeasts, I would make sure that I use a good yeast neutriant.

I agree @ adding nutrient. I have used CDB on over 50 batches of fruit wines and not had that problem not saying you cant though

I agree @ adding nutrient. I have used CDB on over 50 batches of fruit wines and not had that problem not saying you cant though

Yeah i just used the CDB for my seyval and charondel wines - didn't have an issue with it - but i also added a yeast nutrient.

But i also used the lalvin 71B 1122 on my fruits - and that did well too.

Well I've added the Monrachet (they did not have any CDB) and it cooking like mad. Keep my fingers cross!!!
Thanx for the help.

I agree with winemaker 3352, Blackberry is high in malic acid and 71b is the best at eating up some excess. I also agree with just about every post on here in the fact that CDB works very well with pulling through the most fruit flavor and doing so by gently fermenting with very little foam up. That being said I too use both nutrient and energizer in all my fruit wines as most lack in these areas unlike grapes and even with them I use nutrient. I do use Pastreur Red quite often in my darker fruit wines also as it does a great job with pulling fruit also but in addition it also gets better color extraction. It ferments a little bit more violent then I like for my more delicate fruits like light fruits such as apple or peach. I mainly use the Pastuer red for Black Currant an Blueberry and Cranberry.

Latest posts

Back