yeast characteristics?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardSmith

Reaction score
I see that many people talk about different characteristics that different yeasts impart on wine. Are these characteristics that the yeast itself imparts or that the fruits have and the yeasts either enhance or diminish? In other words, if I use a fruit that does not have a particular flavor characteristic will using a specific yeast, say 71B-1122 produce that flavor or is it that if the fruit has those flavor notes the yeast will likely mask some characteristics while enhancing others?

I see that many people talk about different characteristics that different yeasts impart on wine. Are these characteristics that the yeast itself imparts or that the fruits have and the yeasts either enhance or diminish? In other words, if I use a fruit that does not have a particular flavor characteristic will using a specific yeast, say 71B-1122 produce that flavor or is it that if the fruit has those flavor notes the yeast will likely mask some characteristics while enhancing others?

It is some of both. Some yeast will impart a similar characteristic to any wine. Some, it's the combination.

Take a look at:
https://www.morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wyeastpair.pdf

Latest posts

Back