Yeast and Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am planning on getting three six gallon buckets of Merlot juice. In order to have room to ferment I will split the 18 gallons into four buckets of 4.5 gallons each. Two questions: can I use two packs of Label Peelers skins in a volume of 4.5 gallons and would BM 4x4 be a good yeast choice.

Thanks

You can put in as many skin packs as you want. You experience diminishing returns, meaning you receive no additional benefit after a point.

My take is that 2 packs per 6 gallons is optimal. Assuming you blend post fermentation, you can put 2 packs in each of 3 buckets.

IMO BM 4x4 is a fine choice.

I am planning on getting three six gallon buckets of Merlot juice. In order to have room to ferment I will split the 18 gallons into four buckets of 4.5 gallons each

An easier option might be to get a brand new 32 gallon brute trash can. Less buckets to wash, a single batch to measure and monitor.

I bought mine at my LHBS. It also has the recycling designation “2” so I believe that’s LDPE which is food safe. Give it a good washing before using. Also the wine is only going to be in that container for a few weeks at most.

Doesn’t seem like you could do EM in a Brute. True?
Folks have done it -- IIRC, they covered the top with plastic wrap, making sure there are no gaps for air, then put the lid on. Excess air which is pushed out as the wine emits CO2 will push out through a seam in the plastic. I would not do this with a 6 week EM, but maybe a 2 week.

A while back someone mentioned a product that resembles industrial strength plastic wrap, and I considered trying that, but I cannot locate the reference.

Headspace volume is a concern to me. I purchased 32 gallon Brutes as I figured "better too big than too small", and that is certainly true. I currently do 4 lug (144 lb) batches as that's as much weight as I want to deal with. In hindsight 20 gallon Brute would be a better choice.

That's a lead in to my point -- there is a LOT more headspace over 4 lugs in a 32 gallon vs 20 gallon, which means more space that must be filled with CO2. So the potential for oxidation is that much higher. I am mulling doing a 14 day ferment this fall, but I'm not comfortable with it.

They also make 10 gallon ones, maybe this will work better in your situation.
I've considered picking up 1 or 2 ten gallon Brutes for batches that fill a 7.9 fermenter a bit too full.

Gotta be careful, else I'll have 4 of every size known ...

I've considered picking up 1 or 2 ten gallon Brutes for batches that fill a 7.9 fermenter a bit too full.

Gotta be careful, else I'll have 4 of every size known ...

Well, I have 3 20's, 2 30's and 4 10's. Not to mention the ones that juice came in.

To wife recently, yes dear we are slowing down.

Last fall/winter we did an extended maceration of Sangiovese that lasted fifty two days. The finished wine on skins was held in a twenty gallon Brute with the standard lid. Once a week or so we would blanket the space on top of the wine with argon. No other precautions were taken to exclude O2.

We pressed that wine in December. Big taste, big tannin, no obvious flaws.

Currently in glass. We'll bottle in 2025.

Brutes rock.

Doesn’t seem like you could do EM in a Brute. True?
I guess it depends on what you mean by EM or the duration. I ferment in a Brute and typically leave my reds on the skins for 1-2 weeks after they hit SG .995. I don’t wrap them in plastic or have a CO2 tank and haven’t had an issue. I just do a very gentle punch down once a day to wet the cap. I’m also pretty low intervention and don’t use enzymes or commercial yeast, etc, so don’t know if that plays a role or not.

My understanding of EM is that you need to snap a bucket shut with an airlock to keep the wine safe. You said that you punch down daily exposing it to air. I don’t get it. What am I missing here.

I don’t think there’s anything to get, it’s just my experience. I think a lot of manuals, books, etc. will describe a process that minimize risk for newcomers. There’s nothing wrong with that as it helps increase the chances of good results at all experience levels, but then there’s always room to learn from tradition and experimentation. I tend to follow French traditions which see macerations of around three weeks, and I’m happy with the results I’m getting. As to why it works, I imagine that after alcoholic fermentation is complete, the must is loaded with CO2 for quite some time, which along with tannins, anthocyanins, acids, alcohol, and many other things helps protect the must from spoiling. I’m not even sure I need to be moistening the cap to protect it from mold or spoilage organisms, but it’s not that much work and I don’t feel like testing it for now. I’m actually enjoying a 2022 glass that I made this way tonight - I’m very happy with it, with no signs of oxidation or other issues.
71B20173-1B4E-4266-A38D-C107459E0310.jpeg

Last edited:
Back