WineXpert Yakima Valley Pinot Gris

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonmaster42

Reaction score
I thought I'd expand my horizons a bit and bought this kit from George. It'smy first white wine - Pinot Gris being the only white I've had before that I really cared for.That being said,is there anything that I shouldaware of, before I start fermenting, that's different from making a red?

I just noticed I'm a Groupie now! Woo Hoo!

I try to ferment whites around 65* F, which makes them ferment a lot slower than reds.I'm also a bit more careful about oxygen exposure for whites.

I am making this kit and just got back from a christmas trip. checked my sg and it was at the required .996 after 11 days in secondary, so it is progressing well. should be able to clear tomorrow. I followed instructions exactly except for temperature which I kept at about 67 degrees after the fermentation had taken off and it seems to be doing well if this helps.

I have just started this kit as well. Its been 2 days insecondary now. Are there any advantages to keep this in the secondary any longer than normal after the SG has been hit....

I thought I might haveread somewhere that you can keep it on the lees, stiring it up every few days or so to improve this wine...Anyone know anything about this....

Its called Battonage and is not typicall done with a Pinot Gris as the effect of this method will create a buttery flavor and creamy effect that you really dont want in a Pinot Gris which is supposed to be light and crisp. That being said it is your wine and you are free to experiment and who knows, you might turn a great wine into a fantastic wine way different from what everyone else has.

Ok thanks....Kinda what I thought, as it was talking about a Chardonnay. I have it fermenting now at about 66 degrees....As it slows, would it benefit at all to start ramping up the temp. into the 70's to get it to ferment out completly, or just let it do its thing at 66....

Go low and slow to preserve the fruity esters. It would be fine to continue it at 66 as long as you are sure that is the must temp and not the room temp.

Well not totaly sure, but that is what the stick on thermometer says on the side of the carboy. I think those are fairly accurate.

I have found mine to be pretty darn close as my hydrometer is also a thermometer so I check both at the same time and they have always been within a degree. Thats not saying that yours are though so I would check and verify.

I have added a 1/2 teaspoon of yeast nutrient to my last 2 kits when I racked to secondary and they have both fermented out to the recommended level. Before I always seemed to come up a little short like .997 instead of .996.

I got mine racked to the secondary a couple of days ago. It went a couple of days past what the instructions said due to a migraine headache that had me wiped out. Gravity was 1.000 when I transfered it. Smells like a yeasty pinot gris and looks like unfiltered apple cider. From reading other posts this sounds about right.

So what would be the problem if it only ferments out to .997 ???

I just finished a WE red wine, and it might be user error, but the hydrometer looked like .997 instead of .996. It stayed that way for about 3 days, so I figures it wasn't going to go anymore...

Its just a little sweeter than if it fermented to dry. not necessarily a bad thing if you like your wine a litte sweet.

The SG may actually be a bit different than you are reading. Sure the readings will be the same, but they could all be off just a bit and it may indeed be 0.996 or even lower. Did you calibrate the hydrometer to the temperature of the wine? The hydrometers are calibrated to a certain temperature. If your wine is higher or lower than that, it will throw the reading off. Check on the hydrometer. It usually says at what temperature it is correct.

You should also calibrate for accuracy by checking it in 60 degree distilled water. It should read 1.000

Just be sure to calibrate it to the temperature it is registered to- which is not always 60 degrees. If it says 60, read 1.000 at 60, if it is calibrated to 58 degrees, it should read 1.000 there. It should be stamped somewhere for the hydrometer.

I never knew there were 1's out there that were different! Have you seen these Rich or just heard of them?

Actually the ones I use are calibrated to 68 degrees. The older ones are calibrated to 60 degrees. It depends on who the supplier is- just adjust to the temps used.

Here is the one I like to use that I buy locally:
http://www.brew-winemaking.com/ProductPDF/4707.pdf

Edit: I just checked the paper charts that come with the hydrometers. Two out of 4 have both 68 and 60 listed on the same piece of paper. Best check the actual hydrometer. Two of mine are 60 and two are 68!

Just an update: wine has had the chitosan clarifier added and I racked it off to another carboy (with some kmeta and sorbate) to age for a few months. It cleared beautifully and is already tasting like it's supposed to even this young. The picture is redder than the actual color - it's a nice golden yellow.

It's "posing" on top of my next wine - an alljuice Sangiovese.

P1290024Small.jpg

Back