Cellar Craft Yakima Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleydmn

Reaction score
Just ordered this and Cab, winery series from George for my xmas present. Would you add raisins to the Chardonnay and how and when do you add them? Do they need to be cut or whole?
Can't wait till they come in, got skeeter pee in the primary right now. I think I am hooked!

Harleydmn, you will really like your Christmas presents! You must have been good this year.

The Winery Series is one of my favorites. As far as adding raisins to the Chardonnay, it depends on what you like, an Australian type Chard or an American type Chard. The Aussie Chards tend to be bolder to me. If you do decide to add raisins, use white raisins, of course, and rough chop them or pulse them in a food processor. I usually put them in a bag and add them to the primary. To increase the TDS of the wine, I squeeze the bag daily as it floats to the top.

BTW, if you plan to make more Skeeter Pee, save the lees from the Chardonnay for your next batch. They can be frozen.

Yes, I am excited, only made 3 cheap kits so far, I had to make the jump to the finer kits. Will the winery cab be close to drinkable by next Christmas? Or should I wait till 2013. Just getting started and not having any aged stock is tough, just get the erge to try them.

The Yakima Chard is a great kit but its a very different type of Chard. It comes with Acacia beans instead of oak beans. Acacia wood gives white wines a floral characteristic with added structural mouth feel. No oak flavors. Just the fruit with a floral nose and improved mouth feel. You will have the fruit, the whole fruit and nothing but the fruit showing here. If you like a big, oaky aussie style chardonnay you may be in a for a surprise here.

My wife is a big fan of Sauvinon Blanc, sounds like she will really like this one. Guess I should not add the raisins on this one.

The juice can stand on its own, very high quality so it doesn't need any assist from raisins. Mine is almost a year old now and while very good I think it will continue to improve for another 6 months or so, then look out!

My wife is a big fan of Sauvinon Blanc, sounds like she will really like this one. Guess I should not add the raisins on this one.

Excited to get them into the fermenting bucket. Than alonggggggg way before a tasting.

Thanks, you guys are great

We missed your question about the Cabernet being ready by next Christmas. My opinion is that it would be good by then and great by Christmas of 2013.

You asked for opinions, here's mine.

A chardonnay with raisins added is going to taste like -
A chardonnay with raisins in it.

A wine that is in the beginning stages of oxidation tastes like it has raisins in it. Do you like oxidized wine?

Raisins work for many Italian red wines, but I would not risk it with a nice chard.

Other than the lack of oak wood, this is a great chard kit. If you do decide to add raisins, get a couple of 3 gallon carboys; put raisins in one but not the other. That way you can compare the results.

While you are at it, buy some light to medium toast oak and consider using it instead of the acacia wood.

Good luck, whichever way you go.

A chardonnay with raisins added is going to taste like -
A chardonnay with raisins in it.

A wine that is in the beginning stages of oxidation tastes like it has raisins in it. Do you like oxidized wine?

I don't agree with this. I just bottled a MM Masters Outback Chardonnay with Raisins (the raisins are included) George says it is a top seller.

At bottling it's one of the best I have made to date ... different for sure, but in a good way.

I agree with Rick on this. I have added white raisins to 5 of the white wines that I made this year (Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay/Semillon, Malvasia Bianca, French Colombard and a Vin Santo of my own concoction) and I believe it improved the body and flavor of all of them. It is all a matter of taste but I find the additional solids imparted by the raisins enhances the wine. Lastly, I did not detect anything that would suggest the flavor of oxidation.

I saw that MM Masters chard with raisins yesterday on George's site; I was surprised. Again, it is not so much agreeing or disagreeing, we are all just expressing an opinion, that's why I prefaced my post with the fact it is an opinion.

I have found I can always taste the raisin taste, in a wine which has had them added. It is just not a taste I,personally, prefer. I'll even admit I am not that crazy about the taste of an Amarone, which I know many, many people really enjoy.

Maybe someday I'll get an opportunity to taste that MM Masters Chard, I would sure like to taste it, even if I don't ever make it, myself. Our local wine club is pretty much one-sided - all WE kit wine, so it is not likely one will show up to taste.

I'll add that in the last year or so, I have developed a real taste for chardonnays.

I agree with Rick on this. I have added white raisins to 5 of the white wines that I made this year (Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay/Semillon, Malvasia Bianca, French Colombard and a Vin Santo of my own concoction) and I believe it improved the body and flavor of all of them. It is all a matter of taste but I find the additional solids imparted by the raisins enhances the wine. Lastly, I did not detect anything that would suggest the flavor of oxidation.

Rocky, you are going to have to swap a bottle or two with me someday. I am open to trying one of your whites with raisins. In the past I have made some chardonnay with lees aging and stirring, which you might enjoy trying.

The thing about the oxidation taste is -
To me when a red wine starts getting oxidated, I mean oxidated from age and very, very slow air leakage, rather than a bottle left out overnight, the taste of raisins starts coming through, so I naturally associate the taste of raisins with oxidation... just me, though.

I am not trying to say you guys' wine is bad because it has raisins included.

Robie, it is all a matter of taste. I suspect that you may have a more discerning palate than I do. I understand and accept this. It was pointed out to me on a trip to Italy when my Wife and I participated in an olive oil tasting. We both liked best the "worst" olive oil presented! I would probably score the same with fine wines.

My taste buds are probably dead by now. Too much Iron City Beer, Wild Turkey Rye and hot, spicy foods. I do have strange tastes in food. I like hot, spicy, sour and bitter. I would like to exchange some wine although I would be afraid of what you might say.

I am more of a red wine drinker. I make a lot of whites for my Bride. I do have an Amarone that I am very proud of and would like others to try. I wish we could arrange a get together with a number of forum members and share wines.

I can assure you there is nothing special about my tasting ability. One thing I do have is an appreciation of the taste of different wines and love, dearly love to read most anything about wine.

A liquor store in my city has a free wine tasting every weekend, of which I take full advantage. Most of the wines we taste there are under $20. There is just no way I would ever buy such a variety of wines, so the tastings are my window to the wine world.

If you have not made the kit before, without raisins, then how would you know if it improved? The splinting it into two batches sounds like the best idea to learn from. I have never made a Chardonnay kit so I could not make any other comments that are anything but guessing. Maybe someone here has done the kit both ways and will chime in from experience, I can't

Again, it is not so much agreeing or disagreeing, we are all just expressing an opinion, that's why I prefaced my post with the fact it is an opinion.

I totally respect everyones opinion including yours. That's why I like forums.

Mike,
Just started mine this morning and it came with oak cubes. Wondering why they made the change. Well as long as it comes out tasting great!

I made a RJS Piazza-RQ this year and it came with golden raisins. It is a blend of Chardonnay & Garganega. It does have a unique sherry-like tasting note, which I thought a little oxidized, but I believe it's the additional alcohol (a little kick, italian style) starting SG was 1.10 and pretty stiff for a white.

Mike,
Just started mine this morning and it came with oak cubes. Wondering why they made the change. Well as long as it comes out tasting great!

HOLD THR PRESSES!

You saying you got a new CC Showcase Yakima Valley Chardonnay and it came with OAK and not Acacia?

Thats a big change if so!

Latest posts

Back