Xmas Dinner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All our kids are out of the house, but we keep having more and more show up for Christmas!
smiley27.gif
Tonight it's a former foster son, his daughter and girlfriend. Tomorrow it's a daughter, son-in-law, son, his girlfriend, Bert and me. Over the years we had some Christmases without children with us. Those are the years we went to the Senior Meals site and helped with the community dinner there. All are welcome and we had some great times there.
smiley36.gif

Tonight's dinner will be posted under Wine of the Week.
Christmas day will be snacking foods all afternoon.
Sliced sausages, cheeses, crackers, pickled herring, shrimp, fake crab (that was requested over the real stuff), Chex Mix, Puppy Chow, pickles, veggies, lefse, pate', and some other stuff I can't remember. I'm just going to start laying out the food and quit when I can't find anything else to put on the table.
smiley36.gif

I always donate all the clothes that my children grow out of and my
local grocer always holds a toy drive where you donate a $15.00
unwrapped toy and We always do this.

I can relate to having a birthday so close to or on Christmas. I was born about an hour past Christmas. My Mom always teased me and would say I was easy to Birthday shop for- she just held out one of the Christmas presents. My birthday present was usually wrapped in Christmas paper.

We were talking last nigth. My folks weren't very well off and Christmas was hard to get presents for everyone. She would save a quarter each week and then my Dad would give her another $10 so she would have $22.50 to buy for all of 6 kids and Dad and her Mom. She had a couple friends who would save her wrapping paper. She would take the iron to flatten it back out to wrap the presents. We never did without though. I would help her a few days before Christmas. We'd chop the heads off a couple old hens and pluck and gut them and have roast chicken for dinner.
Nothing like old memories at Christmas time.
smiley36.gif

Okay PWP, what is puppy chow and I hope its not the obvious, and what is lefse?

wade said:

I know what Puppy Chow is and have had it many times. Can't say I know what Lefse is though.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Puppy Chow is Crispex or Chex cereal coated with a mixture of melted butter, chocolate chips and peanut butter. After you coat it then you shake it ina big bag with powdered sugar. Yummmm....
Lefse is a potato tortilla. Riced potatoes with evaporated milk, flour, sugar, salt. Rolled thin and baked on a hot grill. Smear some butter on it, sprinkle some sugar and roll it up. Yum!

Never had crawfish, and the way it sounds, (sucking the head, and eating the tail)I'd be placing them back into the water too with Wade.
smiley11.gif
smiley36.gif

appleman said:
I can relate to having a birthday so close to or on Christmas. I was born about an hour past Christmas. My Mom always teased me and would say I was easy to Birthday shop for- she just held out one of the Christmas presents. My birthday present was usually wrapped in Christmas paper.

We were talking last nigth. My folks weren't very well off and Christmas was hard to get presents for everyone. She would save a quarter each week and then my Dad would give her another $10 so she would have $22.50 to buy for all of 6 kids and Dad and her Mom. She had a couple friends who would save her wrapping paper. She would take the iron to flatten it back out to wrap the presents. We never did without though. I would help her a few days before Christmas. We'd chop the heads off a couple old hens and pluck and gut them and have roast chicken for dinner.
Nothing like old memories at Christmas  time.
smiley36.gif

HAPPY BIRTHDAY APPLEMAN</font>

Some good memories you have there...makes you realize how lucky we all have it now.Edited by: Northern Winos

Now the way that I read that post was that it's not applemans B'day till tomorrow since it was "1 hour after Christmas".

Oh well........ I'll be working tomorrow.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY APPLEMAN!

Thanks guys. My Birthday was always anticlimactic. It was always lumped together with Christmas. At least I could pretend all the fuss on Christmas was for my Birthday
smiley36.gif
Heck even this year, Mom says she won't come up to dinner on my Birthday tomorrow because she's all partied out(she lives less than a mile away)
smiley5.gif

My paternal Grandfather, God rest his soul, was born on Christmas day and it was always a mix with him with Christmas. He never seemed to mind; he loved the attention
smiley1.gif
. My maternal Grandmother was born on New Years Day. Between the two, it made for a festive season.

I have a Daughter, Holly, who was born on Dec. 28. I called her "Daddy's little tax deduction" as I got to claim her for that year.
smiley36.gif

My Brothers and Sister and our Family's get together on Christmas eve, last night was at my Brother Ron's home. We always have Lasagna, Garlic Bread and Salad + many Desserts. I took 4 bottles of Wine, Mezza Luna, White Zin, Banana and Ancient Orange Mead. The Mezza Luna was preferred by most with the White Zin second. Today was our two Daughters, one ex-Husband and 3 Grandkids 8, 5 and 3 years old. Cold cuts, Pasta Salad and Cole Slaw were the order of the day.
Hope everyone here had a great time too.
Dave

We did the Turkey and stuffing thing. Tomorrow is sandwiches. We alternate Holidays with my family and hers but a neat new thing about driving up to see my family is we pass by the Toy Store. My brother is in his second Christmas with his wife and after last year they deceided they were going to FL all by themselves this year LOL. So pretty quiet on the home front. Merry Christmas to all.

wade said:

Wade: I can tell you are not a Norwegien? Lefse is definately a Norski food....

Back