Wyoming Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another photo I took today. St. Croix in grow tube with grape cluster.
thumb1_st-croix-2410.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Do you plan to remove the cluster in the tube? I guess you have to remove the tube to get the clusters?

Do you plan to remove the cluster in the tube? I guess you have to remove the tube to get the clusters?

No, I am going to do like Grapeman recommends and wait until I remove the grow tubes in the fall and clip off the clusters.

Be sure to remove the growtube bout mid August to give enough time for the vines to harden and to get the remaining clusters off before they start to ripen.

Be sure to remove the growtube bout mid August to give enough time for the vines to harden and to get the remaining clusters off before they start to ripen.

Interesting! I've never removed the grow tubes from the vines until they were large enough to fill the trellis. I'd always leave them on to protect the stems from rodents and from glyphosate which I use once in a while.

Maybe I should remove them earlier this time!

Here we have extreme cold in a lot of areas of the country. They do not harden off well until the tubes are removed. It takes several weeks to harden off enough to ensure they survive the winter well. Warmer areas need not remove them or at least not as soon.

Here we have extreme cold in a lot of areas of the country. They do not harden off well until the tubes are removed. It takes several weeks to harden off enough to ensure they survive the winter well. Warmer areas need not remove them or at least not as soon.

Thanks for the explanation!

We left the grow tubes on the first winter and had about 40 percent winter kill on the whites and 10 percent on the reds. when we planted new vines after that we always hardened them by removing the tubes Aug 1. and didn't loose as many during the winter. We also mound the dirt up about 6 in on the new vines the first winter.

We live in Lovell which has about the same weather as Riverton.

Larry

Just removed the grow tubes off of the vines. The ST. Croix and Somerset did fairly well, several made the top wire, some are close to making it, and there are a few that did not. The Petite Pearl got set back from some weed spray. I had several vines send up more that one shoot. Should I trim back to only one now, or should I wait until next spring? Also the ones that made it above the top wire should I trim them just above the wire now or wait? There were several vines that have grapes, should remove them now that I can get to them?

ncm_0177-2446.jpg

ncm_01601-2447.jpg

ncm_0173-2445.jpg

do the antelope eat your vines? I am from Twin falls, Idaho. Sorta miss the west

Have not seen any antelope around where we are, but I did have some problems with some deer. They pruned back some vines before I put an electric fence around the vines. I had a few vines might have made the top wire if it had not been for the deer.

We have had fog all week. Somebody send use some sun. Here is a photo of the frost on the vines.

1419036130885.jpg

Had some snow yesterday in the Riverton, IL area, but the sun came out in the afternoon and it's now all gone. Been having some serious deer issues this year. First year in 4 that the deer are going through my trellis wires. So far, this is the 4th time that they have damaged the wires

IMG_2779.jpg

IMG_2768.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

Last edited:
I think deer likes to eat leaves off grape vines.... Put on deer fence....

So the deer still squeezed in?

My local vineyard all fenced in with metal mess wires....

Also, what are you going to do with 34 Somerset vines? I do not think you can eat all the grapes from the vines. Plan to blend with the other grapes in making wines?

Last edited:
Been having some serious deer issues this year. First year in 4 that the deer are going through my trellis wires. So far, this is the 4th time that they have damaged the wired.

Venison goes really well with a nice red wine!

Been having some serious deer issues this year. First year in 4 that the deer are going through my trellis wires. So far, this is the 4th time that they have damaged the wired.

Venison goes really well with a nice red wine!

Back