Wyoming Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyRam

Reaction score
I am planning a small vineyard here in Riverton, Wyoming. I am thinking of planting the Petite Pearl, and maybe a few table grapes (for the wife; she likes to can). Not sure of the variety yet. I plan to put the rows 8' apart, but not sure on how far apart for each vine. I have been thinking of 5' between vines. Is this too close? Also from my research I have not seen anyone use railroad ties for end post; is there a reason for this?

Petite pearl is a good choice but it seems to be a slow grower. That being said, I just pulled the grow tubes off 100 first year petite pearl and found several perfect clusters hidden within. I have mine planted 8 feet apart but I have super fertile soil. The creator of PP, Tom Plocher, suggests 6 feet between vines around here.

I think folks shy away from rail road ties because they are preserved with creosote. It can be toxic and not the best for agricultural use.

What trellis system works best for the petite pearl? I have read that it has open trailing growth habit that is suitable for high wire training; does that mean that I can get away with single wire trellis?

I've heard that high wire is the way to go and it's what I'm going to use you should be good with one wire.

It may be easier to get the vine trained with an additional wire or two. You can use bamboo or some other material for a pole to train the vine up. You can tie that to the additional wire/s. I use two wires for the High Wire or Top Wire Cordon system.

If you can get it closer to 6 feet, all the better. You want the fruiting canes that hang down to have enough length to have at least 15 or so leaves. 5 feet may be a little short.

Thanks; I have not set my post yet so I will get it as close to 6' as I can. I will also plan to do two wires; would it be best to put the lower wire 15" below the top wire?

Got my end post in today. Looking forward to spring so I can get the vines planted, and finish up my trellis.

Thanks; I have not set my post yet so I will get it as close to 6' as I can. I will also plan to do two wires; would it be best to put the lower wire 15" below the top wire?

I go 3 feet and 6 feet for the wires. You can tie the trunk of the vine loosely to the 3 foot wire and it helps keep it a bit straighter.

I have also been looking at the Frontenac also. I know that there are several vineyards in Wyoming that are growing the Frontenac; so I know that they will grow here. I am still leaning towards the Petite Pearl though. Comparing the two; about what time of year do they ripen? Also about what time of year is the bud break?

I don't recall if you're east of the divide? I think so - and about 5000' elevation. That might make a big difference. I know for here in Missoula, we're just under 3000 msl and west of the divide, so get milder winters.

I've found my last frost is right around first of May, and first right around mid-September, with a hard frost around the first week in October. That seems to define what we can grow here. You might check with your county agent, or even the local weather - the airport maybe? - for past data on freezes. That's always helpful information. One of the things I've found in my Missoula vineyard is that those dates make a difference in my brix readings. For two and three years ago, my Foch and Leon Millot were 21-23* brix - where this fall the average was 18.5.

So, I guess I'm saying your question will be best answered most likely by your own experience!

Good luck!

I think I need to rethink the variety of grapes I am going to grow. It looks like the Petite Pearl ripens late season; I think this is going to be to late for my climate. I am thinking that I need a grape that ripens early; It can also get fairly cold Here in Riverton, Wyoming. Any suggestions on a good grape? .

Have you considered growing Marquette? The biggest problem I see with it is the risk of a freeze in the late spring. It breaks bud early and begins to grow. If it freezes real late, it can nip the early growth and it has to grow agin making the grapes a bit late, otherwise it ripens fairly early. It is hardy to about -30F.

I am thinking of going with the St. Croix, or Sabrevois. What grape make a better wine? Now I prefer a sweet wine. Any pros and cons for each vine?

Personally not a fan of sabervois. If these are your options, I'd go with st croix. You could consider Frontenac or Frontenac Gris. The former is a red grape the does well on the sweeter side. The Gris is a grey grape that can make a nice sweeter white or more rose style.

I have looked into the Frontenac but was concerned with them having enough time to ripen. They ripen sometime towards the end of September right? Here in Riverton we usually get our first frost sometime around the middle of September. Now there is a vineyard near Torrington Wyoming that does grow the Frontenac, but their first frost come a little later that Riverton's.

Personally I don't care for the taste of Frontenac- it is too strong of flavor and aromas and the acid levels will scream where you are.
St Croix will make a better sweet wine than Sabrevois. Have you checked out the Marquette? It makes a real nice Pinot Noir style wine and is pretty cold hardy and bears well along with maturing in time for you.

Ervin cellars here in Riverton grows the St. Croix so it may be a good choice; The Marquette might work as well. It ripens about mid September. Table Mountain Vineyard near Torrington also grows the Marquette; I should maybe take a trip down there and talk with Patrick.

What do you think of the Geneva Red? The only thing is could it survive when the mercury drops below -30. When I first decided to grow grapes I would never of thought it would be this difficult to pick a variety to grow.

GR-7 or Geneva Red is too tender for you there. It will do alright to about -15F and below that will freeze to the ground. I ripped mine out here last year after having it freeze 3 years in a row. I replaced it with St Croix. St Croix is a very juicy tender variety so you need to pick it ASAP when it is ready- the next day may be too late and they split or at least mash upon picking.

Latest posts

Back