Would this be enough.....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eduk8or

Reaction score
Regardless of what they say, you will need a hygrometer. The supplies they offer are about enough for 1 - 2 gallon batches of wine.

There are a lot of convenience items missing from that kit. If you want to make fruit wines that kit will work, but if you want to do the grape kits like the ones George sells you need a 6 gallon kit.

There are things missing that will bring you up to what you will pay
for a standard kit anyway. You will need corks, a corker, a hydrometer,
a racking cane, a bottle filler, plus you are going to pay a lot for
shipping and handling. I advise to get a real kit and just go to the
local recycle center and get gallon wine jugs, 3 liter wine jugs, and
start getting wine bottles while your at it. Eventually your going to
need the bigger plastic bucket( primary) and glass carboy. The big
primary you can use for any size batch that will fit in there. The
gallon jugs you can get free. I actually think that by the time you get
all the things that you really need that you will have paid way more
than you would have just getting the basic begginners kit.

Edited by: wadewade

You are getting some good advice here eduk8or. I would listen to wade and get the basic kit from George, He can fine tune it for you for gallon batches, just give hime a call and Peter is correct. It doesnt mattter whether you are making 1 gallon or 100 gallon, a hydrometer is indespensible

I have to agree with Peter, for your desire to make scratch batches, a hydrometer is essential. You need it to determine how much sugar to add to your must. Remember that different fruits have different sugar contents. Even the ripeness of a fruit will sway the sugar content. Just following a "foolproof" recipe will not work to perfection. For example, one batch of blueberries may have a different sugar content as another batch. You may have a very "hot" wine or a very weak wine in regards to alcohol content. If you make a wine with too low an alcohol content it will not last in the bottle while aging. If too hot it will take forever to age if it even ever gets to a drinkable stage.

Also, the contents in the kit like the K-meta will get you through one batch, you will be ordering them again soon or trotting to the home brew store. I guess if you are unsure if you are going to make wine after one batch it would be a good try and see kit. You will save money on the long run buying the chemicals listed in regular size containers.

I would go to a local bakery and get a bucket that cake icing or jelly filling comes in. I would look around and see if any friends drink apple cider or table wines that come in the gallon jugs. Basically anything that didn't have vinegar in it.You can buy tubing at hardware stores. For strainer bags you can use pantie hose or paint straining bags. You can buy bottle brushes at hardware or dollar stores or Wal-Mart. You can buy all of the chemicals listed in regular sized containers for less than what that kit cost. The shipping is highas well. Heck, to get a wine kit shipped to me which weighs much much more does not cost that much.

Good Luck

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Welcome Eduk8or
I also think Wade ,Peter, Waldo are rite , you mite as well do it rite because it is a very addicting hobby , I started with 1 one gallon jug and now i have 10 5 gallon carboys , not are all full but will be soon, i have a freezer full of fruits and berrys . Good luck & happy wine making
Harry

I agree with everyone above. Those jugs look alot like Carlo Rossi bottles. You could put a kit like that together for less than that. I do a lot of 1 gal batches and a hydrometer is not just a nice to have item. An acid kit is very important too, especially with fruit wines where fruits will fluctuant a lot on acid contents.

Pete

I too agree with everyone else. This hobby is addictive, and you will wish you would have talked to George first! George took the time to call me when I was just getting started in purchaseing a kit. I had no idea of what I wanted or needed. He's honest, and will not steer you wrong, and one more thing, he will always be there for any question you may have along everyone on this forum. They are all here as friends to help with anything. But, I think you have already seen that. Welcome to the making of wine and this forum. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back