Working on my first batch....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh yeah.. and nevermind the mannequin in the corner. haha. she holds the money in the poker games. currently she holds the thermometer in the room :p

took a sample of the wine today...
IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

looks pretty clear to me. whatcha think? probably gonna be able to bottle tomorrow i'd say. (unless someone doesnt think so! :))

ok, so bottled the wine today. i dont know if i just didnt wait long enough or if i stirred up a bit of the sediment at the bottom of the carboy (next time will transfer to another carboy or back to primary for bottling) but some of the bottles ended up a bit cloudy. i'd say i had about 12-14 bottles that were clear, the rest.. not so much.

so, at this point do you think it is worth giving it a taste at all (the clear stuff)? or would it be best to wait it out past the bottle shock.

i cant imagine the cloudy stuff is going to taste right.

You could get crazy and dump the non clear ones and wait for it to clear again and rebottle. The wine would have to go into something that you could fill completely and re-airlock to keep it from oxidizing. You may also want to add a pinch of k-meta to protect it.

As another option you could keep those bottles and drink them yourself....they will taste fine, just not look so hot...just drink by candlelight and you'll never notice!

OR give those bottles to people who know you are making wine but who you don't want to have asking for your wine again!
smiley4.gif

thanks much for the info. i did end up popping one of the bottles open and tasting it, it tasted fine but it was from a tinted bottle i had used so i couldnt really tell clarity from the bottle.

do you think i could dump the cloudy ones, filter them, and rebottle? i've been looking for info on filtering but havent had much luck, i did see the gravity filter "how-t0" but where to get the parts to make the filter?

Edited by: xbeerd

Yes, you could filter it. As for parts...George sells the gravity filter and all kinds of filters for it and the other systems.

did you have a link to that? i havent been able to find it. i found the pads etc didnt see the gravity filter tho?!?! Maybe its too early to search and im still sleepy:)

I wish I had seen that pic that you posted on April 11. I would have recommended that you wait as it doesn't appear clear. That's hindsight! Sorry!!

xbeerd I was noticing that the wine looked a bit cloudy to me in the glass, but sometimes the pictures just make it look that way so I didn't say anything. Beginning winemakers often think the wine looks clear and go ahead and bottle. More often than not, that isn't the case and they end up with slight deposits in the bottle. First lesson learned- when it looks clear, leave it for another 2 weeks to a month before bottling.

If you want to filter here is the link:
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=5292

in the glass it looked clearer than the picture does. However, i do agree that is a point where experience counts. I think i will go ahead and filter the stuff that looks extra cloudy.

random thought: i've read about filtering vodka thru a brita pitcher a few times to enhance lower quality vodka, would that be an option for cloudy wine as well? or probably not? of course i do want to have minimal oxygen introduction as possible.

I have no idea if a Brita would work! You could Brita them one bottle at a time as you drink them. It might make the next pitcher of water have a little zip to it too?
smiley2.gif

Joan said:
I have no idea if a Brita would work! You could Brita them one bottle at a time as you drink them. It might make the next pitcher of water have a little zip to it too?
smiley2.gif

that would add something to the saying "I love it here, maybe they put something in the water" (or however the saying goes) :)

i was thinking if there was a way to get the wine from the cloudy bottle, thru the brita and into a new bottle in a timely manner. i guess it would be basically a gravity filter. and since i dont have a gravity filter OR a brita pitcher might as well just get the filter ;)

LOL I want you to get a Brita pitcher and try it because I want to know if it works!
smiley4.gif

i'll see if i can borrow one, maybe i will use a bottle as a test bottle... for the good of science! :)

smiley2.gif
listen up//i had the same problem with a blended white ,this is what i did placed the wine in a clean carboy,hit it with some kmet @supper clear and strirredhard,all now was cloudy,set it aside 2 weeks later clear with stuff on the bottom,auto sphone into clean vessle,hit it with supperclear again.waited 2weeks and filtered with a mini jet////// perfect////i've had some issues with after silt won't happen again//jp

I wouldnt recommend a Brita filter as this may remove all S02. This is a picture of my gravity filter and it works great.
20080414_154537_Filtering.jpg

Latest posts

Back