Working on my first batch....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
checked the SG today, 0.994, less than the noted 0.996, i'll check it again tomorrow.

out of curiosity.. what happens if the sg gets too low? just a really high alc. content/taste?

took another SG reading yesterday and it seemed to be right about the same level. i am going to check it again today, then i'll get to move on to putting the rest of the additives, Fpack etc in and some degassing. hopefully it is ok to leave it until saturday or atleast tomorrow night as i wont have time this afternoon i dont think.

I just bought one of those contraptions. Read the instructions. Hmmm, what do they know? I got me one of those volcanos too. Looks like you had a better one than I did. Everything is a learning process.

just took an sg reading, its still falling, slowly. will check tomorrow but it seems like saturday might be the day. woo.

moving on... SG has been stable so i proceeded, added additives, fpack, degassed etc.

As far as room temperature, i wanted to move the carboy down to my basement. typically this time of year is about 60 degrees down there. during the clearing stage, what effect does temperature have on the process if any?

If you added a fining agent then get it back to where it is warmer or it will not clear properly. After it has cleared then you can bring it back down to cooler temps. Cooler temps work better for clearing naturally but with fining agents actually restricts it. Clearing naturally will take upwards of about 2 months.

xbeerd said:
Working on my first batch of WE VR Gewurstraminer,...

How do you guys sanitize a wine theif?

I keep a sulfite solution in a five gallon blue water bottle. It will last for quite a while and that way you don't have to make one up every time you need to sanitize - put the wine thief in for about two minutes, turn ends and wait another 2 -4 minutes.

the more I read here about degassing and volcanoes and spillage, the more I am feeling like I am over my head and NOT prepared!
I was thinking my "kit" had everything it needed....or so they said. Now I am realizing that this is not necessarily true if you want to do it right.
Or should I just chalk it up that this is my first batch???

I could get lost reading all of the info on this site...although it is fascinating! Just don't have the time with p/t job, 2 kids 4 and under, starting my seedlings, tending to horses,etc. Geez, am I whining?
I just want to do it right!

I keep an extra 6 gal carboy full of sanitizer. I sanitizethief, drill mixer, and similar equipment. Then prior to use, i will sanitize the auto syphon and hose by racking 6gal of sanatizer to another carboy.

The sanitizer topped up and stored in a glass carboy will last me for 2 months before i decied to pour it out and make a fresh batch.

Its really not that hard and we tend to go overboard on some subjects. Degassing can be done with a mix stir if you have 1, I dont recommend just using a spoon though. Just make sure you give this some effort as this will not go away in the bottle. Worst case if you do bottle it with some gas you will have to decant for awhile before drinking.

i think my degassing was fairly successful ( using the mixstir ) no volcano! altmost tho! i got pretty good at getting it up to the top of the carboy but not over. all in all i would say i maybe lost about 4oz of goodness. i read somewhere that after a day or 2 of clearing to degass again? so i tried that, no gas expelled. and the 2 days of clearing was basically negated, duh. oh well.

after using it... i too definately recommend a mix-stir of some sort.

cant wait till payday, gonna get a aussie shiraz for the next batch.. and some more bottles. sucks being a broke ass! :)
Edited by: xbeerd

Hey X,

I also strongly recommend using a MityVac or similar vacuum pump also (after drill stiring). I use a 18vlt high speed cordless drill and agressivly (reversing directions often) stir 3-5 times a day for 4-6 days depending on brand of kit. Each time when I'm done degassing, I just leave the mixer in the carboy detach the drill and and sealaround it with glad press & seal.

Eventhough i have beat the heck out ofmy wines (mainly the reds), i recently took the great advice from ppl on this forum and bought a mityvac.

When i experimented with it on a red that i had agressivly degased for 5 or 6 days (that i thought was completely degased), i wound up pulling off more gas for the next 3 days. Maybe i'm wrong, but i've been told that you cant over degas reds.

Many Thanks to the wondreful folks on this forum for the Great tips!!
smiley32.gif

I wouldnt stir during the clearing stage using fining agents. What you might have read is on a Chardonnay and how to do Battonage which is stirring up the lees in the carboy every day to get that buttery taste in your wine.

wade said:
I wouldnt stir during the clearing stage using fining agents. What you might have read is on a Chardonnay and how to do Battonage which is stirring up the lees in the carboy every day to get that buttery taste in your wine.

you are probably right. i recall reading about stirring up lees.

slbride, Welcome to the forum.
I don't know which kit you're making or what your instructions are, but following the instructions is important. From primary to secondary is important, more by hydrometer than time. Your instructions may give you a time in the 2ndary when to clear, stablize and degas. That time can be extended 1-2 days, 1-2 weeks to make it fit your schedule.
There are a lot of toys out there, that as wine makers we like to buy and use, hoping to do a better and easier job of making wine. You don't have to have these toys to achieve a good finished product. They're fun, but not necessary.
I'm not sure which tools you have, but here are some suggestions for degassing your wines.
1. Your wine should be around 70-74 degrees when you degas. It makes it easier for the wine to release the CO2.
2. Before you degas, remove a couple litres of wine from the carboy to make room for stirring and gas bubbles.
3. You can stir with a wooden dowel, a plastic stir stick, the small end of the plastic stir paddle or spoons or one of the drill mounted stirrers.
4. When you start, stir gently, to prevent agressive foaming and spilling. (The volcano effect.)
5. Once you get a feel for the amount of CO2 coming out of your wine, you'll be able to gauge how agressively you can stir without a mess.
6. After some degassing add your k-meta and k-sorbate. You can continue degassing to get rid of the rest of the gas.
Good luck, hope this helps.

well. after a week or so of clearing i think its coming along decently. obviously not clear yet. i'll try and take a picture tonight if i get a chance.

Took some pics... here's what i got goin on in my poker room..... (yikes, i gotta clean my floor! dont look at it!
smiley9.gif

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

Edited by: xbeerd

Looking good, wait ill you see how clear it gets and how proud you will be of it then! Nothing like seeing a crystal clear white wine!

Latest posts

Back