Working on my first batch....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbeerd

Reaction score
Working on my first batch of WE VR Gewurstraminer, Here is my progress so far... in case anyone cares :) but any constructive info passed along would be greatly appreciated.

Saturday March 8th: cleaned, sanitized, and began primary fermentation in the 'bucket' with airlock. my room thermometer has been constant at 68 degrees sometimes reaching 70. I was hoping to do this in the basement but being wisconsin in latter part of winter the temp down there is generally about 60 degrees, too cold for my setup. Anyways... beginning SG reading was 1.074 at 5pm

Tuesday March 11th, pure curiosity caused me to pop the top and check the SG. Todays reading is 1.042, Given the 5-7 days to reach the 1.010 or lower SG, it seems as i am on track for my anticipated Friday or Saturday movement onto stage 2.

I also sanitized my carboy because i wanted to sanitize my wine theif, which is really long, so i figured i would just kill 2 birds with one stone. after sanitization i bunged (?) the carboy. i created a siphon, which i never did before, to empty the carboy. that was fun.

Lessons learned:
1. i have no patience, well, i already knew that. haha.
2. i will be buying a drill mounted stirrer!
3. creating a siphon! woo!! hah.

should iI re-sanitize the carboy before transferring when the time comes, I am assuming so.

How do you guys sanitize a wine theif?

for degassing... what do you guys recommend, a whip? or the Mix-stir thing?

thats all!
smiley32.gif
will probably post more later this week.

xbeerd, I recommend the mix stir for degassing and stir the snot out of
it when degassing. I really mean it, go forward on high speed and then
reverse it on high speed but beware to go very easy at first cause it
will want to cause a volcano. Put it in the sink or put some kind of
big bowl under it until you have done this a few times and I recommend
taking some out to do this also. As far as sanitizing my thief and
hydrometer I would buy a spray bottle brand new from a dollar store
just for having this solution in there to sanitize things, get one that
closes tight and the solution will last quite a while. And of course we
are interested in your 1st batch to help and hope everything goes well. This is what a wine volcano looks like and hope you never have 1 but bet you will someday!
20080311_183536_Volcano.jpg

thanks for the insight, i was leaning towards the mix stir, so i'll probably go ahead and order one.

im looking forward to trying not to make a volcano, we'll see! haha. maybe i'll get the video camera out and video tape it. :)

Wadethis pic gives me such a sick felling. Good thing you had that extra gallon to top off with.
smiley22.gif

keep us posted xbeerd

Actually that was what I pulled out before degassing in the hopes that the volcano wouldnt happen but I just nailed the gas on the drill a little too much an it still exploded.

xbeerd, I found long plastic tubs at WalMart. You can sanitze everything in there. It is almost long enough for the thief. But I just pour the water in the thief and let it drain out the other end. I have an extra bathtub and that is where I store the tubs.
Hope this helps.

And get a drill and whip the snot outta your wine!!!
smiley36.gif

uavwmn said:
xbeerd, I found long plastic tubs at WalMart. You can sanitze everything in there. It is almost long enough for the thief. But I just pour the water in the thief and let it drain out the other end. I have an extra bathtub and that is where I store the tubs.
Hope this helps.

And get a drill and whip the snot outta your wine!!!
smiley36.gif

got the drill... the mix stir is comin in the mail probably today or so with some other goodies like a bottle rack, sulfiter, some labels and misc stuff.

good call on the tub from walmart, i'll have to check that out. i was mostly concerned with sanitizing the outside of the theif, as that goes in the product as well.

Edited by: xbeerd

speaking of degassing... has anyone tried this?!?!?!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IlMqE1Nm_o[/ame]

I think youd be way better off with a brake bleeder as that wont last to long and without a gauge on it you dont know what amount of vacuum you are pulling which can either lead you to believe your wine is degassed when it is not or possibly get 1 with a good motor and pull to much of a vacuum (I doubt it but you never know) and implode your carboy an that would be a big mess and wine loss!

wade said:
I think youd be way better off with a brake bleeder as that wont last to long and without a gauge on it you dont know what amount of vacuum you are pulling which can either lead you to believe your wine is degassed when it is not or possibly get 1 with a good motor and pull to much of a vacuum (I doubt it but you never know) and implode your carboy an that would be a big mess and wine loss!

yeah, thats what i was thinking, dont wanna blow anything up. it is interesting tho.

anywhoo...

just took at SG reading, just above 1.010, probably 1.012, so it looks like tomorrow or sunday i'll get to transfer to the carboy for 2nd fermentation and get to try my hand at degassing the beast.

i got my mix stir in the mail today as well as the other goodies i ordered mentioned above.

yay. oh joyous day! :) i cant wait until i have enough equipment so all i need to worry bout buying are labels and corks and such.

wade said:
Dont degas it until its done fermenting though.

yeah, i was getting ahead of myself. probably a combination of all the new toys plus the excitment of all the fun beers i was planning to drink last night. (and did!)

yeah, atleast now that its in a clear container i can watch stuff happen other than just the airlock bubbling. :) im a visual person! :p

ok, so yesterday all got transferred to the carboy. Sg of 1.004, today out of curiosity, i checked the SG again and it read well, i guess it would be .999 (in between 1.000 and 0.998

per the directions it says if the SG is .996 or less to proceed with the stabilising/clearing (step3 of WineExpert kit)

once it reaches 0.996 should i proceed? or should i wait it out for the 10 days before proceeding.

er.. i think i answered my own question, i should check it and untill it stabilizes at whatever SG it happens to stabilize at. right!?!?

I would recommend leaving it until the SG reads 0.996 for 2 straight days. If that happens sooner than 10 days it should be ok.

I've had them reach the ending point sooner than 10 days and some take a little longer. I think at this stage it is the SG that is important and not so much the number of days.Edited by: montyfox

Dont go by reaching a number, go by reaching a stable number for 3 days or more. Ive seen some wines go down below .990.

Latest posts

Back