Mosti Mondiale wondering if I should rack now?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne1

Reaction score
Hello all - I am making a Cabernet Sauvignon kit of the Through the Grapevine line that I bought at George's clearance sale - I racked the wine out of the primary fermenter on 10/7 and it fermented vigorously for about a day and then petered out - Ichecked the SG yesterday and it was .994 and checked again today and it is, again, still .994 and I see no bubbling -that is after 3 days in the secondary fermenter. The instructions say itwill take 10-12 days to complete fermenting. So,I'm wondering if I should go ahead and rack it since it has evidently stopped fermenting or should I wait longer since it has only had the oak chips for 3 days - any advice appreciated!!

Thanks,
Wayne

What was your beginning SG and what was the SG when you racked it to secondary ?
Sounds like you just had a quick fermentation and personally I don't think it would hurt a thing to let it set for a while on the oak before racking again

I second exactly what Waldo says. It worked fast and finished quick. It won't hurt a thing to leave it there the extra few days to get the proper oak.

Thanks guys - the initial SG was 1.083 on 10/5 and it was 1.023 when I racked it on 10/7 - I'm leaving it sit on the oak
Wayne

Latest posts

Back