WMT (Unofficial) Mist Wine Contest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is not an April Fool's Joke...

The final results have been tabulated! We used a modified UC Davis-type scoring system.

1st- Richmke's Green Apple Riesling 123 pts
2nd- Joeswine's Pomegranate/Zinfandel 115 pts
3rd- Calvin's Peach Apricot 110 pts
4th- Lonestarlori's Berry Sensational 80 pts

Great job, everyone! It was pretty close amongst the top three (sorry, Lori!). We enjoyed tatsing these wines, and thank the vintners for their time and effort (and in Lori's case, the extra shipping costs). We will enjoy finishing off the extras!

Must be an April Fools joke. :try

Should I take my winnings and invest in an Oak Barrel?

Congrats, @richmke! If I had known, I would have taken one of the Green Apple Rieslings when we were swapping bottles! :D

They were still in the carboy. I bottled 2 early for the competition. I guess the bottle aging helped. It was one of the 3 batches bottled last weekend, so next time we meet, I'll bring one.

Last edited:
Congratulations rich!

Do you have copies of scoring sheets?

Last edited:
I would like to thank Rod, Dave, and friends for their careful consideration and impeccable taste.

I too would be interested in the scoring sheets. My primary motivation for entering was to verify that I was making kits the right way.

FWIW, my modifications were:
1) 1/2 of the F-pack added after the juice was reconstituted, and before pitching of the yeast.
2) 4 pounds of Corn Sugar (dry), SG of 1.077 (may not have fully dissolved).
3) Yeast: Lalvin ICV D47.

2 Days after pitching the yeast, it wasn't doing much, and the SG rose to 1.098. So, I pitched another packet of yeast.

Other than that, I followed the instructions, more or less.

I sent you guys the scores in each catagory and tasting notes. I would have scanned and sent them but you might not be able to read the notes.

Good job everyone! It may have ended with a tooth pulling slowness, but it was fun to follow:).
Any thought on the next compation or taking a break? I have an empty carboy this time.....

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

Congrats Richmke! That's a lot of points. I'm not surprised at my score. I think I'll stick to making wines I would actually drink. [emoji4]

Congrats Richmke! That's a lot of points. I'm not surprised at my score. I think I'll stick to making wines I would actually drink. [emoji4]

Lori, I liked your wine. My tasters just liked the others a little better. [emoji108]

Rod and Dave,

Thanks a bunch for the ribbon. I will display it proudly!

Any word on the next contest?

island mist

thanks for sponsoring this contest I would like a recount:)thanks again.yours jp

IMG_20150421_143928753.jpg

Last edited:
Dave and Rod,

Thank you for the kind note and the ribbon. My wife was surprised when she opened the envelope. She didn't know that I had even entered a judging.

I will have to add an "Award Winning" sticker to each bottle she gives away.

Rod and Dave,

Thanks a bunch for the ribbon. I will display it proudly!

Any word on the next contest?

It will be up to the 1st and 2nd place winners to decide and judge the next contest. However, with only 4 entries in the last, I don't know if another is in the future. I would enter.

Any suggestions on the subject of the next competition?

ABG: Anything But Grapes
NFK: Not from Kits
3+: Something hanging around your cellar that is at least 3 years old
ED: Early drinkers. nothing more than 1 year old

Special interest wine
Only fruit or native fruit
Red kit
White kit
Tropical
Skeeter Pee

I dropped the ball on this competition but I would definitely be into one of the ones listed above.

At this time I have an empty carboy, but am planning on filling it with whatever I did not get to last year, soon. I still have fruit in my freezer that needs to be fermented. I have fruit that we juiced and canned that can be used. I just bought myself a birthday present of wine grape concentrate:). They will be my first attempt at making wine with "real" wine grapes.
Spring flowers are about to start, flower wine? Or how about old root crop wine? Dried fruit wine?
How about a batch of wine made out of anything as long as it is the cheepest we can manage? (And still tast good:).
As long as its not a kit and I still have an empty jug I am willing to try about anything:)
What do the next judges like to drink?

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

Back