WINTER WONDERLAND

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm824MSUSSorry Wade. I thought it looked like a guy having a bad day. I couldn't get him to play what he was saying before. Now that I hear him say "Boo Hoo Hooo! Put some ice on it!" I think it is appropriate for a cold subject of poor NW there in Minn.! Truce!

15_12_133.gif

OK BOYZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share your toys or they are going in the trash............ FOREVER!!!!!!

Play nice!

Another great day up on de-range...it got UP to -10.5*F....

PERFECT...for dégorging the last of the Sparkling Apple Wine...

degorgedSmall.jpg

We had lots of 'yellow snow' outside and we questioned about eating some of it....but...it's not really very 'fresh' snow.

Will be labeling later and stocking the shelves.....time to start another batch.

After a cold blast tonight, they say we may warm up to +5 tomarrow...I'll be the guy walking to work in a Hawaiian shirt, Bermuda shorts and flip flops!
smiley36.gif

A tad chilly up here on de-range today too...

coldSmall-3.jpg

Nothing you can do about the wether....so...

WINE....DON'T WHINE

So....Labeled and put the bubbly away....Got enough for any 'Special Occasion'...like Saturday nights...or weddings..
smiley2.gif

bubblySmall.jpg

Ventured out to the shed and brought in some *bottles to wash....

bottlesSmall.jpg

Those babies are cold....going to have to let them warm up before covering them in hot water...

*Bottles courtesy of our new Forum member Pelican...
smiley4.gif

Talked to my little garden while I was in the laundry room...

plantsSmall-1.jpg

Geraniums, Black Currants for the Wine Garden...and actually got some Louise Swenson grapes to root.

Have a batch of wine that needs some yeast pitched...

needsyeastSmall.jpg

Then sit back and watch the last of the Barrett Jackson Car Auction....cast my Fantasy Bids and drool over the wealth in this country that is not distributed equally.

So...plenty to do today....forget about the temperature outside which has climbed to a balmy -19.7*F....

My sweetie has plugged in the jalopy...guess tomorrow we are going fishing regardless of the temperatures....

Edited by: Northern Winos

20080120_145032_100_3531_Small.jpg
While you all are enjoying the fridgid temps of north it has been kind of balmy here in the 50-60's and boring. With the change of seasons you always have something to look forwardto.

I have started my new years wines though, Pineapple GreenTea Ginger, 6 gallons of JMAO mead, White Zin and today I'll start an Italian Sangiovese.

Anyway here is some color two brighten up the snow!!!

20080120_145349_100_3528_Small.jpg
Edited by: rgecaprock

Been wondering what you have been up to....You have been busy getting your wines going...a nice selection.

Those Cactus are awesome....I HAD one that color and another that was orange...they both died last summer. They were old ones and I was lead to believe that they like to be root/pot bound...I was keeping them in pretty small pots so they could stay in a desired spot. I did manage to get some cuttings and will start over again...Sometimes plants get too big for a place you want to keep them.

Some photos of your wines would be nice....photos of your plants on the balcony would also be a treat for us up here on the frozen high plains.

Thanks forthe flower and color show.

Thanks, Some of my plants are iffy at best. The ones I grow need pretty special conditions. I have so many on the balcony that are struggling and I plan on moving this spring....so survival of the fittist. I babied, and fought and rearranged and watered, not watered...so these epiphyllums will live to tell.

I love them all.....Ramona

I was reading about the northern birds last night in Birds and Blooms Magazine. I always wondered how their little, tiny feet kept from freezing when it is so cold but they have veins and arteries very close togther and the warm blood from the heart in the arteries warms the veins that are so close to it going back to the body so their litte feet and legs stay warm.

Thought that was interesting.

Ramona

That is interesting....also sometimes they stand on one foot and tuck the other into their feathers close to their body....they are very puffed up on very cold days too..think the feathers being fluffed up hold the heat.

WOW!!! After above normal temps and melting going on and Arctic Blast hit us during the night...The temperature dropped like a rock from +40*F yesterday PM...and is continuing to drop...

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><T>
<T>
<TR ="vaT">
<TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; BORDER-LEFT: #996 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 2px">Wind:</TD>
<TD id=b style="BORDER-RIGHT: #996 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; PADDING-TOP: 2px"><NOBR>24mph</NOBR> / <NOBR>38.6km/h</NOBR> / <NOBR>10.7m/s</NOBR> from the West
<DIV id=condWindDiv style="LEFT: 1px; WIDTH: 14px; TOP: 1px; HEIGHT: 14px; relative: ">
360arrows_blue.gif
</TD></TR>
<TR ="vaT">
<TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; BORDER-LEFT: #996 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 2px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">Wind Gust:</TD>
<TD id=b style="BORDER-RIGHT: #996 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; PADDING-TOP: 2px"><NOBR>35.0mph</NOBR> / <NOBR>56.3km/h</NOBR> / <NOBR>14.4m/s</NOBR> </TD></TR>
<TR ="vaT">
<TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; BORDER-LEFT: #996 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 2px">Pressure:</TD>
<TD id=b style="BORDER-RIGHT: #996 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; PADDING-TOP: 2px">in / hPa (Falling) </TD></TR>
<TR ="vaT">
<TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; BORDER-LEFT: #996 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 2px">Windchill:</TD>
<TD id=b style="BORDER-RIGHT: #996 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; PADDING-TOP: 2px"><NOBR>-40°F</NOBR> / <NOBR>-40°C</NOBR> </TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

The sun is out, but it is blowing so hard you wouldn't know it...
blowingSmall-1.jpg

The birds cam early for breakfast...and brought their friends...
birdsSmall-1.jpg
breakfastSmall.jpg
fightingSmall.jpg

The Grey Squirrel hung on to the swinging bird feeder and did get some chow...Quite and acrobat...
chowSmall.jpg
acrobatSmall.jpg
swingSmall.jpg

All is well as winter trudges on....Edited by: Northern Winos

Latest posts

Back