WINTER WONDERLAND

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Big storm raging across the midsection of the country...we are on the Northern edge of the storm, so won't be getting too much snow...3" to 6" to 9"...they don't know for sure.

So, I am watching the Pine Gross Beaks at the bird feeder and the squirrels eating in a pile of corn...and wonder what's out there for the critters to eat without our feed sources.

So...I take a walk outside in the storm to survey the yard.....

The flowers are done for the year,tho the Autumn Joy Sedum is pretty with it's snow cover...

autumnjoySmall.jpg

The flowering Kale is still showing it's pretty colors...

kaleSmall-1.jpg

As for fruits for the birds...There is Flowering Crabapples...

bigcrabsSmall.jpg
flcrabsSmall.jpg

Rosehips...

hipsSmall.jpg

The Highbush Cranberries are pretty, but none have been touched by the bids....Ice Wine anybody????

cran2Small.jpg
cransSmall-1.jpg
icewineSmall.jpg

There is no sunon the sundial...

nosunSmall.jpg

No bath for the birds...

nobathSmall.jpg

St. Frances is bundled up and ready for winter...

StFrancesSmall.jpg

I was also bundled up bringing in some wine bottles to wash and fill....So...I decide to walk out to the mailbox....I was almost there and realized...This is a Winter Wonderland...and wonder...why did I venture out here???

It really wasn't that cold, the wind really wasn't that bad...it's just winter in Northern Minnesota.

I thought you ran out of freezer space
smiley36.gif

Wow.............. Thats a hit of reality............... Poor you...........

However!............ Ice Fishing is right around the corner.

Wade....Maybe that's why nothing one eats them....We did pick some once in a swamp, they looked a little different than these....We thought we were smelling swamp gas, then realized our buckets of berries smelled like dirty feet...I made juice with them and never used it...Wasn't making wine back then.

Someday when we have enough of them I will try a batch of wine....think some members on the Forum have froze some up to make wine...will be anxious to hear how it turns out...?

Jobe....Jim has his fishing poles in the house and it putting new line on them today...
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

We had a snow squall this morning and was enough to cover the driveway. Very windy and cold 30 F today and light snow forecasted for tomorrow morning turning to a mix of sleet/snow by evening.

I really don't like Winter anymore!
smiley21.gif

masta said:
We had a snow squall this morning and was enough to cover the driveway. Very windy and cold 30 F today and light snow forecasted for tomorrow morning turning to a mix of sleet/snow by evening.

I really don't like Winter anymore!
smiley21.gif
Ah ha! I have another convert! Even my car pool buddy, who is like a Pollyanna most days, admitted to me the other day that driving in the dark with the snow and the wind isn't nearly as nice as a summer morning when the sun has been up for an hour already when we head off to the highway.
smiley3.gif
He suggested that maybe he doesn't like winter much either! Come on! Jump onto my wagon! Let's everyone stay in and drink wine instead.
smiley36.gif

Started snowing here in N Wisconsin at 11:30 Now 1:30 and about 3" on the ground and still snowing hard. Looks like a big one coming.
hannabarn

Welcome hannabarn, how long have you been making wine and what do you ave fermenting? Glad to have you aboard and when you get a chance please tell us about yourself.

Hi Hannabarn! Another Northerner! We're getting quite a cluster from around the area. Glad to have you with us.

Welcome hannabarn...hope you stay awhile.

Looks like we are going to be needing a Northern Winemakers Toy Store soon....Should we have a vote????

Not sure what we will be getting out of this one. It was 5 degrees this AM after snowing another inch last night. We are going to get the storm tomorrow late through Tuesday. All they say is significant snow. Only heard one mention on the weather channel of over a foot- I hope not. I can't get the tractor to start to plow. I replaced the battery yesterday and the solenoid today. Still not going. I wouldn't care but Cindy and Joe need to be able to get out to work. I just walk the 100 feet to my office building every day.

It's supposed to get even colder tonight- probably 0 or a little below but less wind. We had wind chills at -20 this am with the wind howling. I brewed up a batch of Brewer's Best Red Ale this afternoon. It smells good and helped heat up the house some. I'm glad George is carrying these kits again. They make a good beer fairly easily and inexpensively.

Now the weather has changed from a watch to a warning. It doesn't sound nice for tomorrow night.

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM SUNDAY TO 1 AM EST TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM SUNDAY TO 1 AM EST TUESDAY...FOR 8 TO 14 INCHES OF SNOW. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

SNOW WILL DEVELOP ACROSS THE NORTH COUNTRY SUNDAY AFTERNOON INTO SUNDAY EVENING...AND TAPER OFF TO SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS LATE MONDAY NIGHT. THE SNOW COULD MIX WITH SLEET SUNDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY MONDAY MORNING ACROSS NORTHERN NEW YORK...AS WELL AS CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN VERMONT. SOME FREEZING RAIN MAY ALSO MIX IN ACROSS THE SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY. SNOWFALL AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED TO RANGE FROM 8 TO 14 INCHES ACROSS THE REGION...WITH THE HIGHER AMOUNTS OVER THE MOUNTAINS OF CENTRAL AND NORTHERN VERMONT...AS WELL AS THE ADIRONDACKS.

Thanks for the welcome! I have only been winemaking since August. Working on myfourth batch from Vinters Reserve!! White Zin, Gewurztramiter, Island Mist WhiteZin and now Chianti. Been prolific but must slow down with the winemaking as I willsoon be 80 and need time to enjoy my products!!! Just built a new home in Hayward Wi. Moved here from So Wi. First batch of white zin almost consumed!!!!

Sent an Email to my girlfriend...Right now they have left Minnesota and are at their winter home in Isla, Mexico...the bit_h sends me a photo of her yard...

bougSmall.jpg

HerBougainvillea's are blooming and it's 85*.
smiley7.gif

Appleman...I feel your pain...get that tractor running...

We have about 6" of fluffy stuff and the wind is picking up and blowing it around. At least the temps are about 13*F above...The last week we had temps below zero.

Snow is a good thing....it insulates the earth from the cold. Ever since wequit raisinglivestock I don't mind the snow at all.

Life is Good!!!

hannabarn said:
Thanks for the welcome! I have only been winemaking since August. Working on myfourth batch from Vinters Reserve!! White Zin, Gewurztramiter, Island Mist WhiteZin and now Chianti. Been prolific but must slow down with the winemaking as I willsoon be 80 and need time to enjoy my products!!! Just built a new home in Hayward Wi. Moved here from So Wi. First batch of white zin almost consumed!!!!
Sounds like you've been busy! From where in Southern Wisconsin did you move? I grew up in Oconomowoc. Love Hayward. Have you been to the Moccasin Bar yet?

We were to go to my company holiday party tonight but Poor Bert got saddled with making the decision if we went or not. He chose safety so we didn't go, but he did take me up town to the cafe and we had dinner there. Before we left we opened a bottle of Steve Angell's Sangiovese. Oh my goodness! That alone almost made up for not going to the party. (Grand prize tonight is a remote car starter... I could have used that!
smiley19.gif
) But we're safe and warm, so I'll be content with that.

I guess I shouldn't tease the northeners by saying that while it was over cast today here...our temps were around 70 degrees....

I'm thinking about pulling the shorts back out!

smiley36.gif

Back