WINTER WONDERLAND

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with you Jobe! I moved away from the snow and cold to the only place in Canada that I could...Vancouver. And now, due to climate change, we've had one of the whitest winters on record
smiley19.gif

But your are in a much more beautiful place Dean! Always wished I could be there or on an Island just off the east coast. Once in a while one will come up for sale at a half way decent price......... but still out of my range.
Edited by: jobe05

That's a unique way of putting it jobe05. Never been to your neck of the woods Dean, but our son has been to Whistler skiing.

Lived in Beautiful British Columbia off and on...Lower/Western parts.....Loved Vancouver Island where my brother died last year...Will return there some year....Have many friends and family to visit.....Absolutley Beautiful!

I would trade one warm February day in Houston for one hour up north

Growing up in W.VA:
We:

Marveled at Jack Frost on the windows.
Watched the snow blowing past the street lights.
Slickened up our sled runners with a good bar of Ivory Soap,
Wore socks on our hands because we didn't always have gloves.
Broke icicles off the building and actually ate them.
Studied snow flakes that landed on our coats.
The smell of wet wool.
Coming in long enough to drink tea and dry our socks on the coal furnace registers.
Listening for the school closings then racing out the door with our sleds and meeting your friends on the highest hill.
The crunch under your boots.....and then the absolute silence.
Storing our RC Cola in a snow drift.........then later hiding our beer out there.
Then really loving a hot bath and how good your bed felt at the end of the day .......and hoping school would be closed ....tomorrow.

Ramona
Edited by: rgecaprock

I was in town today and got some groceries. The trucks and car are put away for the weekend. I'm going to spend the weekend on the couch with a book, working with some wines, packing for our trip next weekend to Wonderful Wisconsin, and visiting on line with forum members. I think the storm is going to be just fine knowing that we're all safe inside the house.

Weather is getting pretty bad out there today....

Winter Weather Advisory
NORTHWEST WINDS OF 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS OVER 40 MPH COMBINED
WITH BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO CAUSE HAZARDOUS
TRAVEL CONDITIONS...ESPECIALLY ACROSS OPEN COUNTRY. THESE WINDS
COMBINED WITH FALLING TEMPERATURES WILL RESULT IN EXTREMELY
DANGEROUS WIND CHILLS OF 35 TO 50 BELOW ZERO TONIGHT THROUGH
SUNDAY MORNING.

Wind Chill Warning

A WIND CHILL WARNING MEANS THE COMBINATION OF VERY COLD AIR AND
STRONG WINDS WILL CREATE DANGEROUSLY LOW WIND CHILL VALUES.
PROLONGED SKIN EXPOSURE WILL QUICKLY RESULT IN FROST BITE AND
LEAD TO HYPOTHERMIA OR DEATH IF PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN. IF YOU
MUST TRAVEL MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT IN YOUR
VEHICLE.

[Gee..usually they tell us to wear gloves and a hat...Guess the figure we've got that one covered by now]

The sun was out today...but you really couldn't tell.....There was a sun dog around the sun...

ringSmall.jpg

The roses have pretty good snow cover out there...

bbathSmall-1.jpg

This is what they call 'White Out Conditions'...

whiteoutSmall.jpg

Time to "WINE...not...WHINE"

Close the binds, turn on the lights(or dim them depending on mood) and pour yourself a glass of wine and you will never know it is cold out!

It was subzero here this morning too.
The same blast you get in Minn comes down on us in Wisc, only not as bad.
Hey NW, would you mind setting up a few fires ... help warm that air up for us a bit .....

I been doing ok, I heat 100% wood.
This is my 7th year.
Yep, I haven't bought heating fuel in over 6 years.
The same unit provides all of my domestic hot water too.
Endless, guiltless,HOT showers.
I love it!

Opps, sorry for the thread theft .......

Sure is cold out there.....

Lloyd....we are willing to share our weather with you....We take the edge off before we send it to you.

Wood heat ...the only way to go....It's about 80* inside and -25*F outside this morning!!!!

We went out for a drive yesterday to check someone's house who is out of town. I rode along for the photo ops I knew would be out there. Here's some road shots for you. It's not snowing at this point, just blowing.
Here we're driving back into town.
20080210_104118_north.jpg

I also got a picture of a sun dog.
20080210_104310_dog.jpg

Then we went to the west end of town. This is the "see-how- tough-you-are" spot. The first 1/2 mile or so at the edge of town seems to be a funnel for wind and blowing snow. You don't know what it's like on the other side until you get through this stuff.
smiley3.gif

20080210_104557_west.jpg

And now for the other side of the coin. I have a Christmas cactus that I started from cuttings a friend gave me. We got 3 blossoms on it and ended up with just flowering. The other 2 dropped off over the last2 weeks.
20080210_104837_Cactus.jpg

PWP...Hope you had a well stocked winter survival kit on your journey....???
You are suppose to stay indoors on a day like that.

We waited until the wind had died down. We never would have gone out earlier in the day, too windy. We only went about 2 miles south of town. We were in the pick up and high enough to see over it all. We never went into the scary part, we just took pictures of it. Promise.

We broke a record here. Yes thats right, the highest snowfall totals for the season. the old record was 79.1. We blew right through that with another 4 inches yesterday and more expected tomorrow. PWP, we drove through similar conditions on sunday. We went to Chicago for the motorcycle show and the drive was quite dicey at times. ... what I will do to sit on a beautiful shiney bike in the dead of winter and make zoom-zoom noises...
smiley36.gif

PWP,
Looks like a scene out of "Fargo". And I see your little splash of color opened to brighten your day!!

Ramona

Latest posts

Back