WINTER WONDERLAND

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Appleman...I love the smell of fresh soil...I have had my seeds since the 2nd week of January...so am anxious to start some seeds. My cuttings of Black Currant, Louise Swenson grapes and Geraniums have kept me sane...gave them a good haircut a few days ago and raised the lights to accommodate their growth...I don't care if they make it outdoors, they have kept me company through winter.
Joan...we have a pretty nice growing season...it's just awfully short with extreme heat and humidity....Tho short it is good.....at least we think it is.

So once we get our spear fishing habit taken care of...We will both change into farmers...Tomorrow is our last day to spear fish...

Meanwhile back at the ranch....we went to the regional airport this morning...took our Alaskan neighbors to pick up their Upik Mom who has come down to visit...she has never been here before. So refreshing...she asked if those were cows??? She first thought they were moose. As she arrived from Alaska the girl's mother-in-law left on the same plane for Minneapolis/St. Paul and on to Mexico...would like to have taken the flight to the Condo in Cancun...maybe one day we can go for a week like normal people.

So...we are enjoying our moderating temperatures...and have had a wonderful winter....just take each day as it comes.

Life is Good!!!!Edited by: Northern Winos

Joan said:
Just shut UP!

LOL......... You knew I could resist that....
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

smiley8.gif

I was thinking of you last night as I drove by Tassone's in Baldwinsville!

Did you find the restaurant that I was talking about? Was that the name? My nephew was the cook there when I went, but he is now in Providence going to school for cooking.

They had really good food, a reasonable prices.

Had somedifferent visitors at the feeder this morning.

100_1568.jpg

They have been here before. I saw their tracks last night when I went to feed the dogs. This is the first time that I saw them though.
I think they are getting pretty hungry. It's been a tough winter for the critters here.Edited by: swillologist

It's nice to see the feathered friends come around like that.....They'll have good eats now that they've found your feeder.

I am surprised to see you still have snow down there.

swill,

I remember having them in my yard all winter when I lived in Pa. They are beautiful birds and quite large.

Ramona

We have lots of snow left. Yesterday and today were the first days we were above freezing for a couple of weeks. A lot of those days were in the single digits. Some nights were well below 0. The cold weather you have been sending down here has got me in trouble with my wine too.
smiley19.gif

I will have to stop by the Co-op tomorrow to pick up some shelled corn. That will work better for the pheasants then the bird seed.

Swill,

Those are the best tasting birds there are, if you're so inclined. But it's a lot of fun watching them. When I was a kid, I had a flock that used to follow me when I walked to the bus to school. They were on one side of the cemetery fence strutting along & I was on the other.

I have been looking at that third bird, swooping in. It looks like some kind of a hawk. If so, do they swoop in and catch smaller birds or maybe after squirrels?

There are actually two of them there appleman. There is one just left of the one you are looking at. The one you are looking at is a male English sparrow. The other one is an English sparrow also. I just can't tell if it is a male or female.

I see the second one now. That's a great picture with it's varied birds, some caught in mid-flight. The pheasants add a splash of color to the white background!

mississippi mud said:
Thats just mean jobe. 65 here one day 75 the next
smiley4.gif
We won't be laughing when its 101 this summer .
smiley19.gif

Wish I had not of opened my mouth. Looks like it gonna be a cooled one tonight.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e3e1c7 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e3e1c7 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e3e1c7 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e3e1c7 1px solid" vAlign=center width=290 =http://.weather.com/web/common/s/1X67px_10day_.jpg colSpan=3 height=67>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=290>
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" vAlign=center align=left width=60 height=25>
<DIV =blueVerdanaText12>Today
Feb 26
</TD>
<TD vAlign=center width=115>
<TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e3e1c7 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e3e1c7 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e3e1c7 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e3e1c7 1px solid; : #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=105>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=center align=middle width=36>
30.gif12122006
</TD>
<TD =blueVerdanaText11 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" vAlign=center width=69>Partly Cloudy</TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD>
<TD =blueFont10 width=65><B =blueVerdanaText11>62°[/B]/35°</TD>
<TD =blueVerdanaText10 align=middle width=50>20% </TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e3e1c7 0px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: #e3e1c7 0px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: #e3e1c7 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 20px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e3e1c7 1px solid" vAlign=top align=left width=150 =http://.weather.com/web/common/s/graph__10day.jpg height=67>
blank.gif
<B style="FONT-SIZE: 12px">62°F[/B]

<DIV style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">Get Local Golf Course Forecasts</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e3e1c7 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e3e1c7 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e3e1c7 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e3e1c7 1px solid" vAlign=center width=290 =http://.weather.com/web/common/s/1X67px_10day_.jpg colSpan=3 height=67>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=290>
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" vAlign=center align=left width=65 height=25>
<DIV =blueVerdanaText11>Wed
Feb 27
</TD>
<TD vAlign=center width=115>
<TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e3e1c7 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e3e1c7 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e3e1c7 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e3e1c7 1px solid; : #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=105>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=center align=middle width=36>
32.gif12122006
</TD>
<TD =blueVerdanaText11 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" vAlign=center width=69>Sunny</TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD>
<TD =blueFont10 width=65><B =blueVerdanaText11>55°[/B]/36°</TD>
<TD =blueVerdanaText10 align=middle width=50>0%</TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

It could be worse...... You could be lookingforward to12-16 inches of snow like we are. Temps below zero by Friday with 30 mph winds coming tomorrow.

12 - 16" of snow is not good.....We can get that in March...that is our snowiest month.
Right now we think we are in heaven.....Gets above freezing each day and the sun has so much heat in it that it melts snow when in the 20's.

Our winter is far from over...but is much more bearable with the longer days.

I wake up earlier every day...so my body is changing into the spring/summer mode...no more hibernation.Edited by: Northern Winos

63 degrees here today, calling for 6" of snow tonight.......................

Sigh..............................

wade said:
63* and 6" of snow coming! Is someone smoking crack over there?
smiley5.gif

Well....... We all are, but the weather still sucks this time of year........
smiley36.gif

Back