RJ Spagnols Winery Series Super Tuscan w/ Merlot skins -

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mharris_335

Junior
Reaction score
:try
I made this kit two years ago. I have had 4 bottles in the past month and it is the best kit I have made. There is hugh fruit and spice with a little oak. If you have never made RJS Winery Series yet, you need to start. It put the CC Red Mount Cab to shame. I have been making kits for four years and have done 23 red kits. I have made MM, WE, CC, and RJS and can tell you this one is the best kit by far.

This is what Ive been saying for a long time! Im getting low on this though but have moved on to grapes. If all else fails though I can always go back to this.

I just bottled my kit this morning...super tuscan with merlot skins. I ended up drinking almost a glass and a half from the bottom of the carboy that I could not get into a bottle. I found it to be grapey still without much if any oak. Did either of you taste yours while bottling it? And do you remember what it tasted like while bottling?

How long did you hold it before you starting drinking it?

TIA, I'm already considering what to do next as I have almost 5 cases of empties in the attic!

Paulc

I almost always add extra oak to every red I make. I didnt bottle mine till it was about 8 months old so mine would be different from yours and it was just barely beginning to come around at that time.

I assume you racked it off the lees when you aged it in bulk for 8 months? I thought of leaving it age in bulk as it does not make a whole lot of sense to bottle it and then leave it sit for 6 months to a year...But after adding the clarifing materials that came with the kit I would need to rack it into a clean carboy to let it sit till bottling? Not sure if that is the clearest way to ask that question...thanks, paulc

Paulc, Yes you are correct about racking off the sediment during bulk aging. After adding the clarifying agents wait 3-4 weeks to let them compact enough so you don't stir them up when racking off of them.

Latest posts

Back