Winemaker Injured by K Meta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joea132

Reaction score
Published 03:06 p.m ., Monday, January 16, 2012
STAMFORD -- A man making wine in the crawl
space under his Unity Road home temporarily
blinded himself early Monday afternoon and had
to be rescued by firefighters after splashing
some chemicals in his eyes .
The homeowner, who was not identified by
police, had mixed citric acid with potassium
metabisulfite and accidentally splashed the
solution in his face, Stamford Fire and Rescue
Capt. Brian Fontneau said.
The man, who was in the crawl space under his
home at the time, lost his bearings and could not
find his way to the crawl space exit in his garage
and called 911 for help just before 1:30 p.m. ,
Fontneau said.
Firefighters responded within minutes and
pulled the man to safety, Fontneau said.
Paramedics got the man into a waiting
ambulance and began flushing his eyes .
Fontneau said the eye injury did not appear to
be serious.
A hazardous materials team was called to
inspect the premises.
Metabisulfite is used by many winemakers
because it prevents wild microorganisms from
growing in wine and acts as an antioxidant
protecting the color and delicate flavors of wine.

Bwaaaa haaaa haaaa, Peoople are pretty stupid!! Why was he doing this part in a crawl space like that, Probably a drunk trying to hide it from his wife!

Bwaaaa haaaa haaaa, Peoople are pretty stupid!! Why was he doing this part in a crawl space like that, Probably a drunk trying to hide it from his wife!

I couldn't believe it was on a firefighting trade website as a hazardous materials call! I almost didn't post it here thinking it would end up being a member...

Glad you did post it, Joe. Gives everybody another heads up and a reminder that the chemicals should be respected. Take care with them and use them safely on your wine making journeys. Arne.

I couldn't believe it was on a firefighting trade website as a hazardous materials call! I almost didn't post it here thinking it would end up being a member...

Most FDs will roll a hazmat unit at any sign of a chemical involved onsite, especially if it is a white powdered substance and the site has a laboratory look to it. Meth has caused this, and it is far better to know what you're working with and be safe than sorry.

I am glad the guy was not permanently injured but in the crawlspace? As Paul Harvey would say, where's the REST of the story?

lets hope we never hear that the coroner had to be called because someone inhales some argon and suffocated

Another winner of a Darwin Award! :sm

Nah, to win a Darwin, the person has to take themselves out of the gene pool. Mostly it happens by death, but some winners do it by, in some fashion, losing the ability to reproduce, without dying.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back