WineFolly cellaring guide - does it apply to kit reds?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle5434

Trying to fuse frugal/pragmatic with good results
Reaction score
I've had this cellaring guide from WineFolly for a while now. What's the consensus - is this applicable for kit wines (specifically, reds) stored under good, temperature-controlled conditions?

how-long-to-cellar-wine.png

Generally speaking about the red time frames, kit wines can last most of the time frames in your chart, but I feel as though the best drinking window may have passed by in many cases, particularly the longer time frames.

Tannin, as you know, plays a role in aging and longevity. In kit wines, we just don’t have the natural tannin content that grape wines do, so it just doesn’t take as long for them to come together, and they also don’t last as long.

Another factor we consider with aging and longevity is acid. The acid in kits is altogether different as well, malic not being present in the vast majority of fine reds, but plenty of natural and synthetic malic in a kit, as it’s used to balance the acidity.

Having said that, I’ve certainly no empirical data to present from 20+ year experimentation / trials, only experience from my own premium red kits for the last 5 years.....

I've suspected that tannins - via a grape pack in the more expensive kits and/or added in powder form - factor into the whole equation. I can see where the different types of acid may factor into the long-term flavor profile. Since the longevity-related aspect of acid is likely tied to pH more than anything, I've wondered if the different types (tartaric, malic, citric) make much difference in that respect.

Tannin are the ruling factor. red kit wines should be aged but the longevity may not be as shown for grape reds. Ask Wine Expert. or Vandergraft works for Northern Brewer might get a faster answer.

Latest posts

Back