Wine update

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoastalEmpireWine

Reaction score
So I checked my strawberry wine today an it's cleared up quite well thanks to super kleer. It tastes a little stout though. I back sweetened to 1.020 and it tastes good. Just strong haha

Looks nice. Put some in a glass and shine the light from the bottom. That will show if you have anything still floating.

Give it 4 to 6 months in the bottle and it should be right..

I think I'm going to bulk age it, but I have a question about my white wine, I stabilized and back sweetened it, but it still has a strong tart taste to it. Why is that?

I think I'm going to bulk age it, but I have a question about my white wine, I stabilized and back sweetened it, but it still has a strong tart taste to it. Why is that?
Draw a glass and add a bit more sugar to it. See if that helps. You have done good with the strawberry. Most times it is more straw colored than red. Good luck with it, Arne.

So I checked my strawberry wine today an it's cleared up quite well thanks to super kleer. It tastes a little stout though. I back sweetened to 1.020 and it tastes good. Just strong haha

How do you compute your back sweetning since the formula is a molar solution.

For consistancy, I use a backyard method and if i want to backsweeten a gallon 128FL.OZ. to what i will call 2%

i merely multiply 128X.02 and add 2.56 ounces of white sugar to the gallon((using a measuring cup and not a scale))

I just re read your post and i see you used SG which makes a lot of sense to me now

Last edited:
Here's what I started with, S.G. of 1.094 and it fermented to .998, and it was there for a few days, I added maybe 2 cups of sugar and it brought my wine up to 1.020, my starting pH was 3.30

I'd say bottle it. Check it in 6 mo. I just opened a peach that was "nasty" at bottling that is absolutely fine at 6 to 7 months, and to think I almost poured it out.

1.020 should be sweet enough but pour a glass, and add enough sugar to bring it to 1.030 and see it it still taste harsh.

Then take another cup and add 1/4 cup water and see what that taste like. It might be the fruit bite and if it is then only aging will fix it.

Go to the main page under winemaking tools. Down to calculations. There are formulas in there that will tell you how much sugar to add. You need your starting s.g., how much wine you have, and the s.g. you want to get to. If I had any how to post a link to it I would, but I am pretty computer illiterate. Arne.

I bulk aged my strawberry in the carboy for 6 months. Racking every 30 - 45 days just to remove any sediment.

If you think in liters and brix, it's easier.

For example, 1.25 brix (1.005 SG) is 1.25%. Adding 12.5 grams sugar per liter will be pretty darn close.

2.5 brix (1.010 SG) is 2.5%. Add 25 grams per liter.

5 brix (1.020 SG) is 5%. Add 50 grams per liter.

http://www.fermsoft.com/gravbrix.php

It's easier for me anyway .... YMMV :)

Back