Wine to strong...shall i just add water

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tysfoot

Reaction score
Hi,

Simple but maybe silly question but im new to this .

Im just about to bottle my first batch of Vintners Reisling wine and even through it does taste very nice 13% is a little to strong for me, it burns slightly as i drink it.
Should i just add water to the carboy to mix it then bottle that way to lower the percentage or is there another way

Cheers guys

No, what you may be tasting is a young wine. 12% - 13% is pretty much what you get in a reisling.

Just bottle and let it age, I beleive you will be very happy with this.

Ok, i almost always add a little soda water when drinking wine at home so it will be fine when drinking

No, what you may be tasting is a young wine. 12% - 13% is pretty much what you get in a reisling.

Just bottle and let it age, I beleive you will be very happy with this.

+1 to what julie says....yes, young wines will definitely have an alcohol bite which will smooth out over the course of time....stabilize anf fine it, then bottle it.....let it sit for a few weeks first, so it goes through it's bottle shock, see if it's starting to round out, then let the rest go for about 3 months....

I also agree with above...

I assume that you have followed the directions of your kit.

My advise is this..

NEVER ADD WATER, NEVER ADD WATER, NEVER ADD WATER, NEVER ADD WATER, NEVER ADD WATER, NEVER ADD WATER, NEVER ADD WATER, NEVER ADD WATER, NEVER ADD WATER, NEVER ADD WATER, NEVER ADD WATER...

and just in case you were wondering.. NEVER ADD WATER!

Let me explain..

PH levels, as well as tannins and a whole host of other components, are needed as a "pertective" in wine. By adding water, you will dilute them. Major problems can occur when these levels are not maintained.

The only time I would say that it is ok to add water is if you made a mistake and added too little water when constructing your must. In this case, I doubt that the wine would have ever fermented as the PH would have been off the charts. These kits are engineered to have the correct levels when the correct amount of water is added.

Back