Wine pump?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhkr

Reaction score
So I've been doing some research on a wine pump, and as much as u would love the AIO budget constraints make that hard right now. Found this pump at harbor freight and wanted to get some opinions on it. Says it pulls up to 28" which is more than needed for our application.

Suggestions??

http://m.harborfreight.com/air-vacuum-pump-with-r134a-and-r12-connectors-96677.html

That won't work at all as a "pump" without a very big air compressor as it uses the "venturi effect" requiring airflow to create an artificial vacuum. By the time you buy that and that large air compressor you could have bought a real vacuum pump of sorts either the AIO or some other type of pump.

I bought a Schuco medical pump off craigslist for $75, and then picked up all the tubing from AIO. Steve molded on the tubing adapter to fit my pump. The setup works great. It saved me a few bucks.

If you can find a cheap vacuum pump (like a medical pump that will not contaminate your wine with oil), then go for it. Otherwise, buy the AIO.

That won't work at all as a "pump" without a very big air compressor as it uses the "venturi effect" requiring airflow to create an artificial vacuum. By the time you buy that and that large air compressor you could have bought a real vacuum pump of sorts either the AIO or some other type of pump.

I have a big compressor, how would I go about modding it all together? I was also looking at the small pumps sold by themselves on amazon that I saw a youtuber use.

Looks simple enough. One side is for air inlet (compressor) and the other side is vacuum. The reviews on the Harbor Freight website said it took a LOT of air to create a decent vacuum.

Well I was thinking of going this route too, just didn't want to order anything online if I didn't have to (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DYA21PU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20)

Figured I could splice a power adapter for the power to it then follow what this guy on youtube did: https://youtu.be/2ikSGGa53g4 I would probably bypass the filter bit right now. Really just looking to degass and transfer at the moment. I may filter in the near future though!

I appreciate the help so far!

Last edited by a moderator:
yep I picked up a john bunn vacuum pump from e-bay,,, Steve at allinonewinepump.com sold me all the tubing and bottling equipment, I'd of bought it all from Steve but by the time I found Steve's site I already had my own pump, being disabled I started reading and gathering equipment better then 2 years before I found this great forum , that's when I found Steve's allinonewinepumpwinepump.com , but Steve is so nice that he fixed me up with ever thing else, and let me know several times if I need to know anything to call him, that right there gave me great respect for Steve...
Dawg::

I bought a Schuco medical pump off craigslist for $75, and then picked up all the tubing from AIO. Steve molded on the tubing adapter to fit my pump. The setup works great. It saved me a few bucks.

If you can find a cheap vacuum pump (like a medical pump that will not contaminate your wine with oil), then go for it. Otherwise, buy the AIO.

@jayhkr
one of the reviews mentioned this = fits in the palm of your hand

Two things you have to consider when getting the correct pump

how much vacuum it will draw down to
and how fast - LPM

Well I was thinking of going this route too, just didn't want to order anything online if I didn't have to (http://www.amazon.com/Karlsson-Robot...ilpage_o07_s00)
One review said it can move 0.5 cfm under low load, and other reviews says it pulls 17-22" hg, depending upon your particular unit.

In comparison, the Schuco 135 aspirator I have can move 1.5 cfm under full load, reach around 22" hg, and is designed for continuous use. I'm guessing the AIO pump is about the same.

It will cost you $25 for the pump and power supply, $60 for the tubing (get the $40 wine bottling setup with the valve), and another $15 for a reservoir, or about $100. If you ever get frustrated with it, you can then ask Steve how much for a pump and holder.

One review said it can move 0.5 cfm under low load, and other reviews says it pulls 17-22" hg, depending upon your particular unit.

In comparison, the Schuco 135 aspirator I have can move 1.5 cfm under full load, reach around 22" hg, and is designed for continuous use. I'm guessing the AIO pump is about the same.

It will cost you $25 for the pump and power supply, $60 for the tubing (get the $40 wine bottling setup with the valve), and another $15 for a reservoir, or about $100. If you ever get frustrated with it, you can then ask Steve how much for a pump and holder.

Well crap. Might as well save up and get a nice one from Steve! Thanks guys for the help.

Well crap. Might as well save up and get a nice one from Steve! Thanks guys for the help.

Steve has a nice total package. You will get a turnkey solution and won't have to worry about a lot of little problems, like tube sizes and dimensions. Everything fits, everything works and for the small volume home winemaker it is a real nice tool.

that pump looks decent but it dose not sound like a vacuum pump, just a transfer pump, therefore during transfer it would leave oxygen in your wine, and a big disadvantage of using a transfer verses a vacuum pump instead of a transfer pump, a vacuum pump not only pulls excess oxygen away from your wine a vacuum pump puts your wine in a vacuum atmosphere which while in a negative atmosphere hence vacuum it tends to pull your gasses from your wine, a transfer pump allows air to stay at the same pressure as outside therefore it does not pull your gasses from your wine, your only degassing effect would be more or less a splash effect for degassing, no one knows more then me on being short on money i went from uncle Sam pulling $1500 to $1700 a week from my check to having to live on $1200 a month. (disabled) so i used a hand siphon on my wines till i had saved up and got my AI1 pump from Steve, as a mater of fact i started 2 years before my first batch saving and buying equipment before i ever started my first batch, now coming close to 5 years i have 15 Italian glass carboys, 2 AI1 pumps one for racking, degassing and filtering and the other for bottling, got tired of looking for bottles so a little at a tiMe i am up to around 34 cases of wine bottles, i still by corks by the hundred lot but hope this coming year to grow into buying corks by the 1000 lot, and i am going to have to figure a way to cut costs on my labels, i put my heart, time and love into my wines so i wish a very nice quality label for the out side, but you just keep chipping away and enjoying what you are creating and you'll get there before you know it, just focus on enjoying the art forum of creating something that pleases yourself an/or you better half , just keep the enjoyment of your hobby/addiction in the forefront and you will stay satisfied with what's going on.
i wish you the best on a healthy addiction/hobby.
Dawg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017NVG1I8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 . Just in case this can help in the future. This pump works great and is super fast at transferring. Built a whole system $42 with hoses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back