Wine PH

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brottman

Reaction score
I've been tasting a lot of my country wines that I've made over the last year, many of which where bottled with of PH of about 3.8 or so. I did some experimenting with a few glasses, and raised the PH to about 4.5, and seem to then like the wines a lot better. So far this has held true for both country wines and meads that I've done.

Does anyone else experience the same thing with liking a 4.5 ph wine better than a much more acidic? Also - if I were to bottle a wine at 4.5, is that still a safe PH to age a few years with?

Brian

That is definitely not a safe pH for wine. They will probably spoil rather quickly because you will have no SO2 to protect it.

Are you sure you are measuring your pH correctly? Do you have a pH meter? A wine at 4.5 would probably taste very flat and flabby.

You're wines would be better at 3.6 or lower for aging. I would think at that high you will need a huge amount of meta and tanins that will really throw off the taste. Why not experiment with a few bottles and let us know how it works out for you.

Latest posts

Back