Wine of the week

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working in Santa's Workshop is getting harder every year....Glad you had time for a good meal.... *&lt;|:)</font>

PWP, it's nice to see that someone else buys commercial wine for the bottle first and then the wine. I like the cobalt blue bottles also and have been very lucky in finding some very nice german wines inside them. The best of both worlds.

Pete

A simple dinner for Christmas eve. We had an apple wine from a small winery at Chippewa Falls, WI. It was a semi-sweet apple wine. The apple flavor was still there (Bert thought pear) but it wasn't one of the overbearingly sweet wines. Clean after taste, nice in the nose.
20061225_083200_Wine.jpg

We had venison that had been browned on the stove and then slow roasted in the oven, and topped with gravy made in the roasting pan and some wine added to it. Garlic mashed potatoes, stewed tomatoes and garlic bread rounded everything out.
20061225_083408_Plate.jpg

And sorry Santa, we drank the entire bottle before you got here. Hope you have forgiven us!
smiley2.gif

Here's dinner from Thurs, 11 Jan. I was going to be out of town for the weekend, and then never posted dinner!
smiley3.gif
Slacking!
We tried a wine that we'd gotten as a gift from some friends who had been traveling and thought of us. (I love our friends!) It's from the Forks of Cheat Winery in West Virginia. It's a Niagra and quite sweet. Sweet enough that it could be served as a dessert wine. I had a bit during dinner and then drank it for dessert.
20070120_083833_Forks.jpg

It had a definite white grape flavor to it, very fruity.

We served it with Sechuan Shrimp over noodles.
20070120_084004_shrimp.jpg

PWP,

Do you cook like this everyday? Do you ever sneak up on a sandwich?

fr317.gif
You must be an awsome cook !!!!! Ramona

rgecaprock said:
PWP,

Do you cook like this everyday? Do you ever sneak up on a sandwich?

You must be an awsome cook !!!!!

She looks so much like an awesome cook, I through out my Betty Crocker book
smiley36.gif

Bring Betty back in! She's a real Betty!
smiley36.gif

Yes, I do sneak up on a sandwhich once in a while. During the winter, when Bert is home long before I am, he does a lot of the cooking. And he's getting to be pretty good at it. He no longer cooks the venison dry enough to sole a shoe with it.
smiley18.gif

My dream is to be a house princess so I can cook like that every day, but I just don't see that happening. I have too many expensive habits to even consider it. I do use Betty Crocker as my guide for the basics. She's been my good friend for about 25 years, and I even inherited my mom's Betty! But truly, I am more of an invent-it-as-you-go kind of person. It especially makes Bert crazy when I do that with wines!
smiley36.gif

Tonight we had Curry Chicken over rice with Duff wine. (It was named Duff for the dog of a friend of ours. It's our Rhubarb Wine.) We had to run the wine through a coffee filter as there was an excessive amount of sediment in the wine. (This was one of our early scratch wines and we weren't fully educated yet.)

20070121_174046_Curry_002.jpg

The wine was bottled in 04 and was a year in the bottle before it was really good. It has a fruity flavor, an acid sharpness but yet the PWP thinks it's a mellow wine. She also says it has a high alcohol content. (Several people who have been given bottles have also commented on this.)
smiley5.gif

A Ct. winery that goes by the name of White Silo makes an awesome
Rhubarb wine. The best thing about that place is that they offer all
their wines in sweet and dry. Not to many places I've seen do that.
Dinner is served!

Hey, I recognize that glass!! Good looking meal there....did you cook tonight Bert?
315.gif

Ramona

No I did not make dinner [a little above my expert kitchen talent], But PWP was helping me with posting pictures....Dinner was very good , not to spicey...Just the way I like it..The wine was kind of fruity and very mellow, not like it was three years ago...
smiley36.gif

Happy Super Bowl Sunday to you all. Tonight's dinner was related to the nasty cold out there tonight. Comfort food! Meat loaf, baked potatoes, broccoli and cole slaw. We served it with a WE Select Pinot Nior. Mmmmm... Bert chose the wine and I think it was perfect!
20070204_170803_Meatloaf_003.jpg

PWP and Bert.

That is an awsome meal. I bet those teenagers you have there are loving it. Unlike your cold weather, we are having temps in the 60's today, I made chicken wings with a combination of Masta's Garlic Hot sauce and Franks Maple BBQ sauce. BTW both are fantastic!!! and also some nachos and spinach dip in a Hawian Bread Bowl. Some 99 Cent wine called "YN" from Curtis' store and Shiner Bock Beer.

You have my favorites there especially Broccoli!!
315.gif

Ramona
boi20.gif

Sounds good to me...We will have to stop by some Sunday night for our 'chin-wag' and get in on the vittles.
smiley4.gif

Back