Wine not clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 6 gallon carboy of Videl wine ready to bottle. I started this with just juice. I added the Sorbate and sulfite as recommened then sweetend with a simple syrup. The wine was crystal clear when I did this. I stirred it up pretty good. Now 10 days later the wine is still cloudy. The simple syrup had a yellow tint to it before adding. Is this normal? I did bring the water to a boil before adding the sugar when I made the syrup. Do I just need to be a little bit more patient or do you think I discolored the wine a bit. The wine had a beautiful clear amber look to it before sweetening. Maybe I should have racked before sweetening?

There must have been some sediment in the bottom of the carboy. Like you said maybe a little more patience..

Add more clairifier. What did you use ?

Isinglass, Sparkolloid, Super kleer all will work.

I would try giving it time again but if there as some color in the syrup then it may not come back to its original color again.

I think you did not boil the sugar long enough. After the yellowish color it will clear if heated longer.

Thanks. I also made one other cardinal sin, but not sure I am ready to confess yet.
smiley15.gif
Especially since you guys have talked about this over and over again.

I added the Super Kleer to the Videland was so happy with the results I added it to the Isabella two days ago and I can already see the results its having on that also. The carboy on the right is a batch of Liebfraumilch.

20090929_173150_Videl__Isabella.jpg

runningwolf said:
Thanks. I also made one other cardinal sin, but not sure I am ready to confess yet.
smiley15.gif
Especially since you guys have talked about this over and over again.

James 5:16
Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.
smiley4.gif

OK here goes butplease go easy on meFather Waldo, I already paid my penance.

Please forgive me my brothers and sisters as I have sweetend this excellent wine before tasting. I understand the bazillion times I have read "taste BEFORE sweetening".
smiley19.gif

We like an off dry and I read an sg of 1.0 is dry. So, without tastingI removed about a bottleof wine from the 6 gallons and added a simple syrup to bring it up to 1.01 - 1.02. Then I topped it up with the wine I siphoned off. There was a about a third of the bottle left and so I tasted it with some friends. DANG..it was pretty damn good before sweetening!
smiley35.gif

Two lessons learned: Listen to the experts who already made the mistakes and I really don't mind a dry wine after all. It is the oak and tannins I don't care for.
smiley20.gif

All in all I am sure the wine will be fine, although it would have been perfect without adding sugar to it.

Latest posts

Back