Wine never really got started to fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkingsnorth

Reaction score
I started my last kit on 11/2. On 11/4 you could smell that it was fermenting. I never once saw it bubble and 2 days later there were no signs at all of fermentation. I thought maybe the yeast was no good that I used so on Friday 11/8 I pitched some more yeast (D47). Still no signs of fermenting.

First, what are the hydrometer readings. Sometimes they ferment down with not much physical sign of ferment. Other than that, what is the temp of the must? If too cold it won't go or it will go really slow. Next do you have nutrient in your must? The acid down about where it should be? Add the yeast too soon after k-meta or too much k-meta? Any one of these can fowl up a ferment. My bet tho, without any more information is it is probably not warm enough. Arne.

Well, let's see if we can help you with this. We will need some additional information in order to advise you. Please give us the following information:

What kit are you making? (Manufacturer, variety, liters of juice in kit, grape pack or not, etc.)
What is the temperature of the wine?
What is the ambient temperature where you have the wine?
What was the initial Specific Gravity (SG) reading?
What is the current SG reading?
What have you added to the wine thus far?

This will give us a start.

Sorry Arne, I must have been typing when you answered.

Well, let's see if we can help you with this. We will need some additional information in order to advise you. Please give us the following information:

What kit are you making? (Manufacturer, variety, liters of juice in kit, grape pack or not, etc.)
Orchard Beezin Black Currant

What is the temperature of the wine?
69.9 degrees (I just put the brew belt on)

What is the ambient temperature where you have the wine?
72 degrees

What was the initial Specific Gravity (SG) reading?

What is the current SG reading?
.998 (shocked by that)

What have you added to the wine thus far?
Added Bentonite packet and 1116 yeast at beginning
added packet of D47 yeast 2 days ago.

This will give us a start.

Sorry Arne, I must have been typing when you answered.

My answers in italics

Well wkingsnorth, whatever happened with this kit, I see no problem. It's a few years since I made this kit, but it usually dropped to about .995 for me. Today is 8-9 days at what appears to be a cooler temperature than what I preferred (72-74F), so that seems pretty good results to me.

Steve

Last edited:
Yeah, I am going to let it sit a few more days with the brew belt on it then check the SG again. It is funny that I never once saw it bubble.

Yeah, I am going to let it sit a few more days with the brew belt on it then check the SG again. It is funny that I never once saw it bubble.
1) maybe you didn't look at the right time
2) maybe the pail lid didn't seal properly, so the CO2 was leaking there
3) bubbling is the escaping CO2. Cooler temps (not that 70 is that cool) will allow the wine to hold more CO2
4) visual signs of fermentation mean absolutely nothing, as evidenced by this particular kit

Steve

Latest posts

Back