Wine making in review

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetcheeks

Nicely Dunne
Reaction score
Since all my winemaking is on hold for another 17 months, I'm reviewing what I learned when I was brewing in GE. Most of my wines were wild fruit or flower based. Some were okay but I can not honestly say any were very good. I had loads of fun but am not pleased with the overall outcome. So, I have a few questions:
1. My wines brewed out very strong in alcohol content. They were more like sherry than wine. Suggestions?
2. My elderberry wine was very tannin tasting even though it was two years old; color, body and aroma were wonderful. Suggestions?

Thanks!

SC, 1. sounds like you have too much sugar to begin with that allows the yeast to make to much alcohol, and if they taste like sherry (vs port) you may be getting some oxidation.
2. You are in luck, my webpage is dedicated to edlerberry winemaking. If it is to high in tannin next time dont leave the fruit in so long in the primary. You can use a lot more fruit than most recipes call for by juicing them instead of fermenting on the pulp, but if you ferment on the pulp a couple of days is all you need for elderberry.
3. What kinds of fruits you fermenting in Turkey? Have you tried to make a fresh fig wine over there yet?
Crackedcork

Latest posts

Back