Other Wine kit pairing with real wines.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackith

Reaction score
So can anyone suggest standard commercial wines to some of the popular wine varieties. Preferably under $10-$15 if possible.

Such as:
Super Tuscan
Amarone
Nero D'Avola
Chianti
Nebbiolo
Barolo

If they don't sell at that price range does anybody know why they are more expensive?

thanks! :h

Not sure what you are looking for - you have listed all Italian-origin wines (some may be grown in other places, but they are considered "Italian" wines). There are lots of Chiantis and Super Tuscans out there for $10-15, but not many decent ones. And I don't think you can find any $15 Amarones, Barolo, or Brunellos for that matter. Nero d'Avola can be found for $20 in my town, but it's not very common.

I'm guessing you are trying to compare your kit wines to commercial products of the same type - a good exercise to test your wines, but I would make sure it is a type of wine I like before making 30 bottles and hoping it tastes like a commercial-version of the same wine. I think it is more important that you like the wine you made, than whether it tastes just like a commercial wine or not.

Agree with Bartman. Amarone, for example, is inherently expensive to make, so you won't find too many cheap ones. I did, however, find a $20 Amarone and a $14 Barolo at Trader Joe's.

So can anyone suggest standard commercial wines to some of the popular wine varieties. Preferably under $10-$15 if possible.

Such as:
Super Tuscan
Amarone
Nero D'Avola
Chianti
Nebbiolo
Barolo

If they don't sell at that price range does anybody know why they are more expensive?

thanks! :h

Are you looking to try a bottle before you make a kit to see if you like that style before making it? Or are you looking to try that style with a kit wine to see how they compare side by side?

My small town doesn't have a great selection of wines but what I have seen locally are:

Bolla or Masi Amarone (both are about $45)
Gabbiano or Ruffino Chianti (both around $17)
Lamura Nero D'Avola (around $15)

There are a couple of Barolo's in town for $25ish. I haven't noticed any Super Tuscans (at least label as such or Nebbiolo

Good luck, all those wine would be great as long as you let it age a bit

BMac you are correct, sorry I did not specify before. I am looking to try a bottle of these wines before I invest in a kit of the same style wine. More specifically wondering if people know of a bottle that represents the variety well or if they thought it tasted similar to a kit they have made.

A good example of an Amarone, Barolo, or Brunello style wine will be pricey (if not extremely so) depending on who makes it. A decent Nebbiolo varietal wine (remember, Barolo is a style of Nebbiolo but not the only form of it) might be found at a decent price in some stores. I've actually had some decent Nero D'Avola wine that was in the $10-15 category. Not the best examples, mind you, but good enough to get a sense of how the varietal stands out. Chianti can be rather hit or miss, but there should be no shortage of examples available.

When you get to blends like a Super Tuscan, you're going to see variability because there is no standard how much Sangiovese, Merlot, Cabernet (or others) to blend. They are also not necessarily labeled a 'Super Tuscan'. The best Super Tuscan I've had was in a wine bar - the glass wasn't cheap, but it was the kind of wine that reminds you all at once why you love to drink wine to begin with. It was a little sad after it was all gone.

There are certain kits, however, that get thoroughly great reviews. Just about all the Super Tuscan-style blends, for example, seem to turn out well and are sought after. It's difficult to fit a specific commercial wine to a kit wine because they're inherently not the same. The grapes sourced do not come from the same locations. The production style can make a big impact, as well.

Trader Joe's has lots of cheap Italian Red's for less than $10. Problem with TJ's wines is that one year a wine will be awesome and people snap it up by the case. Next year its thin and has no backbone or bouquet etc. They are just hit and miss from year to year.

Best $10 Nero D'Avola wine that can be had at most any wine shop and some stores is the Villa Pozzi brand. I have seen it locally for $8.99. Awesome wine that I have seen on some restaurant list for $32 a bottle.

villa+pozzi+nero+d%2527avola.jpg

You should look for tasting events at your local wine stores . Sometimes they even pair it with some food . Also my LHBS had a tasting event to sell the limited edition kits .

I know when I went on a cruise a couple of years ago. I sampled a drink wine with supper every nite - the same kind as I am because I usually bought the same type every time I went to the liquor store. You may want to sample different wines when you go out or if vineyards have tasting tours. I don't want to buy a $40 bottle find out I don't like it - I would sooner buy a $8 to $10 glass to find out. I did realize that most of the wines I made were close to the ones on the ship. Close enough for me anyway.

Back