WINE IN THE AIRLOCK

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclejigz

Junior
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I bought my first kit this weekend and started the process of making wine. I started by washing and sanatizing everything as thourough as possible. Then I tried to put the airlock in the grommet in the primary fermenting bucket and the grommet dropped into the bucket. I have read people say that is not an issue and just to fish it out when I do my first racking. My issue is that the fermentation is going at maximum speed!! But I found this morning that the wine actually went into the airlock and mixed with the sanatizing solution I had in there. I took the airlock off and cleaned it and filled it with Vodka to help keep it sanatized. I am worried though of bacteria in the wine. What do some of you pros think? Also when I am at the clearing stage will I know if there is bacteria present?

Thanks, Link

You will be fine, I think just about everyone has been there when we started. I havent seen a batch lost to this yet or any problems that occurred from this

Is there something that i did to make the fermentation so tenacious or is this normal? Th etemp has been between 68 and 74 in the room that I am making the wine.

Some fermentations are more volatile then others. What kit are you making and is this a 7.9 gallon bucket? Did you fill it to the 6 gallon level and not beyond? Glad to have you aboard and hope you stay awhile.

Yeah I used a 7.9gallon and filled to exactly the 6 gallon line (inside of the bucket line). The kit I am using is the

Mosti Mondiale’s 10L Vinifera Noble Chianti (VN41).

You really don't even need the air lock at this point. You can put the lid on and lay a wash cloth or dish towel over the hole. It will be fine. Or, we put a large dish towel over the primary fermenter, then use string and a rubber band to hold it on around the top of it. Set the lid on top of the towel to keep the cats from falling through the towel.

Thats pretty surprising that a 10 liter kit has fermented that well. Its gonna be a good 1!

I got to ask. If the grommet fell in, how is the air lock in? Just sitting in the hole?

As others have said, you don't need an airlock. Just cover the hole in the lid with a clean towel or wash cloth. When the SG gets down around 1.010 (some say under 1.020)and it is time to rack, you need to get it racked to glass and under an airlock as not as much carbon dioxide is being emitted to blanket the wine to prevent oxidation.

Yeah I have the airlock just sitting in there. I guess I will take it out now (I only have 1 or 2 days left in primary fermentation). I will make sure I dont use the airlock next time. thanks for all the input.

Also since most of you are veterens at wine making, what should I expect for the smell of it during fermentation. I would assume it shouldnt smell like wine or like grape juice, but almost a in between, gassy smell. Just want to make sure I am not losing the batch.

They will all smell different since fermentations will be different. Some will smell really yeasty and others will have a really nice grape smell but at this stage you wont be detecting much of anything true to what it will smell like after some time in the bottle.

I am just amazed that the wine would actually get into the airlock. I really figured it would push the airlock out or just ooze around the airlock.

I had wine in the airlock once but that was a better bottle that was primary that I lifted up off the floor and put on a table in anticioation of racking in a few days, the weight and the plyability <--(word?) of the plastic must of sucked air through the airlock and when I set it down forced it back through

hay uncle,not to fear paper towels are near?we have all had valcanos in our past and maybe some in our future,nothing to concern yourself at this point all's natural did they supply you with a champain yeast or what type//would be interesting to know

Back