Wine from grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southlake333

Reaction score
I met up with a friend of mine the other day who graciously offered me 13 pounds of a concord/mustang grape hybrid he had growing in his vineyard. I removed the stems, placed in 1 gallon freezer bags and set them in the freezer (to aid in breaking them down).

Now I have made beer, cider, fruit wines, wines from concentrates, kits, skeeter pee, etc. But I've never actually made wine from raw grapes so I'm super nervous.

From my understanding, the first step is to freeze. This allows me to postpone the creation for a bit as well as helps to break the grapes down. After that, I plan to put them in a bucket, squish them a little to break them, then add pectic enzyme and let them sit for a day so the pectic can do its work. Should I have the grapes in a fruit bag for this? Or should I just leave them all open in the bucket?

Once the pectic has done its work, I was thinking I should add campden tablets to kill off anything wild before adding my cotes de blanc yeast. So I'll add probably 2 tablets, wait a day, then add the yeast. Somewhere in there I will need to test the SG. Do I just squeeze the grapes enough to get out enough juice for testing?

After primary fermentation is done, I was thinking I will siphon off the juice, then put the remaining grape parts into a fruit bag (if not already there) and squeeze the crap out of them into the secondary. From there it should be business as usual. Ferment dry, stabilize, backsweeten and age.

Does that all sound right? Am I missing anything?

Also, I did not include in these steps testing for TA/Ph as I have never really done it. I have those little test strips (that kinda suck) but I'm sure a $100 tool is what I should be using. I'd just rather not spend that kind of money for my first batch that will probably only yield 1 gallon. Is there a cheaper option? Suggestions?

I could rationalize buying the more expensive tool if I make more than just this first batch. But doing so would require me order grapes from somewhere. Is it alot more difficult to make a 6 gallon batch? I ask because it took me a couple hours to de-stem just these 13 pounds. I'm considering ordering these for another batch if I decide to go that route:

http://concordridgefruitfarms.com/2010/09/fall-is-in-the-air-at-concord-ridge-fruit-farms/

Below is a picture of the grapes.

concordmustanggrapes-1961.jpg

I leave mine loose in the bucket and let it ferment that way, then when it is time to press I line another bucket with a paint bag, dump everything into that. I then press the grapes, I know you don't have a press but I feel that leaving the grapes loose in the primary breaks them down more.

Also, you need to check acid prior to fermetation. I know you don't want to go and buy a ph meter but I would recommend that you do because you use that on all wines that you make not just fresh grapes. In the meantime go and buy a titration test kit they are about $10 and I think they are better than the litmus test strips. You will need to adjust the acid. You can either add water to lower or as most will recommend adjust using calcium carbonate.

And check your sg prior to fermentation, you need to know if you are going to have enough alcohol, add sugar it needed. If you are not sure on how to do this, get a stainer, sanitize it, push it into your must. You should be able to get enough liquid to measure.

I know I am not giving you step by step but I think you got the gist of it.

Ok thanks Julie that helps alot. I could ferment mine loose, then dump from one bucket to another into a fruit bag, then press the bag by hand. I like that idea.

Is this what you would call a titration test kit?

http://finevinewines.com/XPListSubRe.asp?MM_PartNumber=5400

Could anyone suggest a good ph meter that won't break the bank?

I'll try the strainer idea as that sounds like a great way to get a sample for SG testing.

yes that is the test kit

I have a Hanna 98128, it goes for about $90 on Amazon. I know Runningwolf just bought another one that you can set the probes right into the wine but I believe that one is a little more pricer.

Good luck and post up how the wine comes out

i cant say i know much but from what ive messed with thus far you cant beat the fruit bag, its so much eaiser to squeeze the bag and punch it down rather than trying to filter. again youve seen what ive done so there isnt a lot to go by but (right now) i wont do another fruit wine without one.

Latest posts

Back